X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone see the problem here?

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Anyone see the problem here?

Someone is going to need a new shirt...and maybe some body parts!!
    Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

...or the jointer will spend the winter wearing a flannel shirt.
      Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Not if he's planning to audition for the Vienna Boy's Choir ...
        Woodwreck and Wally in Calgary like this.

Comment

He's also wearing a ring while using a power tool, a no no in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
            He's also wearing a ring while using a power tool, a no no in my book.
            I'm always torn on that one. I often wonder what the odds are that a ring could actually catch on something. I mean, mine is fairly tight around my finger, so it's not like it's loose or anything. I suppose it would depend a lot on the type of work you were doing.

In the end, I compromise in that I wouldn't allow "recreational" jewelry, i.e. other rings or dangly ear-rings worn strictly for fashion, but I do allow wedding rings. As a general rule I don't remove my wedding ring, it's important to me to have it on. When I weigh the safety risk of wearing rings, I find that risk to be high enough to outweigh the benefit of recreational jewelry, but not high enough to outweigh what is for me the larger benefit of wearing wedding rings.
            Redneck Albertan and beachburl like this.

Comment

I saw the shirt first and then the blue tape over the manufacturers name but I'm also wondering if the red guard is sitting up too much off the bed of the jointer. [?]
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

agree on the loose shirt, maybe the dust collector and jointer being plugged into a power bar?

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post

I'm always torn on that one. I often wonder what the odds are that a ring could actually catch on something. I mean, mine is fairly tight around my finger, so it's not like it's loose or anything. I suppose it would depend a lot on the type of work you were doing.

In the end, I compromise in that I wouldn't allow "recreational" jewelry, i.e. other rings or dangly ear-rings worn strictly for fashion, but I do allow wedding rings. As a general rule I don't remove my wedding ring, it's important to me to have it on. When I weigh the safety risk of wearing rings, I find that risk to be high enough to outweigh the benefit of recreational jewelry, but not high enough to outweigh what is for me the larger benefit of wearing wedding rings.
                  My concern is not with the ring getting caught on anything, if that was a concern I'd also not wear a watch (I do), my concern is what happens if you jam the ring finger and it swells up? That's why I never wore rings when playing sports even non contact sports like tennis.

Comment

Concerning rings. My farming uncle slipped on a wagon and his ring caught onto a bolt sticking out of the side of the wagon. He didn't lose the finger but it got chewed up significantly. Tight or not, fluky things can happen.

...Wayne

Comment

When I was in high school a girl was out at lunch hour walking down the sidewalk in front of a store. There was an awning over the sidewalk. She jumped up to touch the awning and caught her ring on a nail. She lost her finger and they did not reattach it for some reason.

So....I do not ever wear anything loose or any jewelry in the shop. I even keep my hair covered usually.
                      When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

If folks didn't post things like that, we'd never know how ignorant (in the true sense of the word) some others are.
                        Too bad, as there are some good things to observe, but...

Noel
                        "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                        "
                        John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Chimera View Post
                          When I was in high school a girl was out at lunch hour walking down the sidewalk in front of a store. There was an awning over the sidewalk. She jumped up to touch the awning and caught her ring on a nail. She lost her finger and they did not reattach it for some reason.

So....I do not ever wear anything loose or any jewelry in the shop. I even keep my hair covered usually.
                          Yeah, and I knew a guy once who lost his finger similarly after catching his ring on some scaffolding as he fell. So sure, it does happen. But how often? I don't have any stats, but I would bet that ring catches are much less common, per capita, than car accidents. I bet car accidents are a more likely danger, yet when we weigh that risk, we usually conclude that the benefit of driving outweighs the risk of an accident, and that's why we still drive. Similarly, in my estimation the risk of ring catch is just not high enough to outweigh the importance to me of wearing my wedding ring. Wearing it is important enough to me that, to me, it's worth that level of risk. As I said above though, my calculation changes when we're just considering recreational jewelry though. To me, looking snazzy is not worth the risk of a finger catch.

Comment

As to the wedding ring I’m with you Ryan in that it’s important for me to keep it on, plus it’s kind of stuck there and very difficult to remove.
                            The bigger issue here is the loose shirt, not only that I could have posted an additional captioned pic. as he passed his shirt completely over the guard.
                            Had his shirt caught in the cutter head his instinct would probably have been to reach down placing his hands in the danger zone as his body is drawn down towards the cutter head.
                            Real scary when you think about how quick this can happen.

Comment

I have a $29 silicone wedding ring just for the reasons stated here. As we all know gold is also a excellent conductor

Comment

Working...
                              X