Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone see the problem here?

Originally posted by callee View Post

Of those 20,000 who died in car accidents, I don't have statistics for this, but I'd bet that the majority of them stayed dead.
    I'm not taking one side or the other in the stats wars, but THAT is funny.
    carbonBased likes this.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

No emergency stop on the panel either, if that's the normal operator position. If the shirt gets caught, it's a quick nudge of the leg and the machine stops. Takes a little learning on avoiding it, but I have seen it prevent many potential injuries.

I had someone override a door lockout on a CNC machine, after a bad crash, when I had my head inside the work area trying to figure out the best way to retract the axis to prevent further damage; I've jumped through a fire ball to hit an emergency stop caused by overheating on a grinding operation (poor air flow in/around machine causing a fine mist cloud to ignite); and a safety guy telling me to wear gloves while using a drill press.

Comment

Yes the machine could be made much safer if the power switch was replaced with a paddle type that, as you said, could shut off the machine with quick nudge of the leg.
        Egon likes this.

Comment

I work on computers, I wore a wedding ring, no problem. But my garage door handle every time I opened it would grab my ring and cut me. Still wore it till we split up.
          Steve The Drill Sergeant
          Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post
            I work on computers, I wore a wedding ring, no problem. But my garage door handle every time I opened it would grab my ring and cut me. Still wore it till we split up.
            Maybe the ring was telling you something.
            schor likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

My BIL nearly melted his wedding band when disconnecting a car battery the spanner grounded. Very nasty burn in a hard to heal place.
              Wow, crazy!
              I managed to short the terminals with a spanner once. Clearly not paying enough attention. Big spark, but I was unharmed; not in the path of least resistance, I guess.
              Anyway, scared the sh** outta me; I'm now especially careful when changing batteries (which, unfortunately, I seem to do a lot)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post

My concern is not with the ring getting caught on anything, if that was a concern I'd also not wear a watch (I do), my concern is what happens if you jam the ring finger and it swells up? That's why I never wore rings when playing sports even non contact sports like tennis.
                Then you cut it off.
                My dad helped a friend cut his ring off after his finger swelled catching a hard throw (baseball).

Agreed, though; couldve been prevented.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

The internet is full of pictures and videos of woodworkers that are, for lack of better words, careless.
                  But it's when you find pictures like the one below from Fine Woodworking (issue March/April 2009) I really begin to wonder.

Gord

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fine Woodworking.jpg Views:	1 Size:	416.5 KB ID:	1214744

Comment

I know a lot of professional one man shops and none of them use splitter/guards unless they have gone to dust collector guards.When you have employees it becomes advisable to follow the latest safety regulations and that is a majour reason to stay a one man shop. Even with that these guys often have student/apprentices working for them. The internet has raised awareness considerably but the old do as I say... still holds.
                    Rob
                    Brian @ Muir likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                      I know a lot of professional one man shops and none of them use splitter/guards unless they have gone to dust collector guards.When you have employees it becomes advisable to follow the latest safety regulations and that is a majour reason to stay a one man shop. Even with that these guys often have student/apprentices working for them. The internet has raised awareness considerably but the old do as I say... still holds.
                      Rob
                      My guess is he's referring to the left-hand position, as well as the fact that this guy is keeping a couple dozen open and exposed saw blades right next to his work area... wouldn't want to trip in that shop! I'm actually OK with the left-hand position, I was taught to keep the work tight to the fence by applying lateral pressure from the left - the key is that you keep your hand stationary and never move it. Nowadays I use a switching featherboard, though.

On the ring front, I see a lot of youtubers wearing a 3D-printed or silicone wedding band for all of the reasons stated here. It's also the kind of thing that can be a freak accident - Jimmy Kimmel de-gloved his finger with his wedding ring by falling the wrong way in his kitchen. Caught it between the counter and a cupboard/drawer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztT_pBFQv8

Comment

Yes, how can he possibly concentrate on the task at hand with that one reversed blade in the stack.

Plus no hearing protection and a loose long sleeve shirt (and a wedding ring).

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post

Well, as the saying goes, the plural of anecdote is not data.

According to this website (graphic picture warning) in 2016 there were 150,000 "ring avulsion" injuries in the USA.

By way of comparison, according to wikipedia there were over 5, 500, 000 car accidents in the same year.

To me, that supports what I said before: wearing a wedding ring is, admittedly, a safety risk - but it is a much smaller risk than other risks, like driving, that we happily accept.

It's one thing if you are employed for a larger company that has set its own policies. In that case, obviously, you follow the rules.

But as for me in my shop, I believe I should be free to decide for myself the level of risk I am prepared to accept.

I've decided that I'll keep driving my car. And I'll also keep wearing my ring.
                          First up, a high school buddy caught his ring in a basketball net and tore the finger off...couldn't be reattached. I had to get a buddy to cut my wedding ring off when a cinder block fell on my gloved hand. No damage other than a small cut and bruising from the ring. But still gave me a bit to think about.

Statistically, to compare car accidents to ring avulsions you would need adjust for people doing activities that would leave them with the possibility of having the undersirable outcome.
                          Like, mega millions of car rides vs number of people doing activities that are prone to ring avulsions. The discrepancy probably isn't nearly as lopsided when that adjustment is taken into account.

In general, people can take whatever risks they want. I don't wear chainsaw chaps, helmet or face guard when I cut firewood. But I wear hearing protection. We all have our lines and they probably aren't very consistent a lot of the time seeing as i don't wear my ring in the shop!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post

My guess is he's referring to the left-hand position, as well as the fact that this guy is keeping a couple dozen open and exposed saw blades right next to his work area... wouldn't want to trip in that shop! I'm actually OK with the left-hand position, I was taught to keep the work tight to the fence by applying lateral pressure from the left - the key is that you keep your hand stationary and never move it. Nowadays I use a switching featherboard, though.

On the ring front, I see a lot of youtubers wearing a 3D-printed or silicone wedding band for all of the reasons stated here. It's also the kind of thing that can be a freak accident - Jimmy Kimmel de-gloved his finger with his wedding ring by falling the wrong way in his kitchen. Caught it between the counter and a cupboard/drawer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztT_pBFQv8
                            I think that row of saw blades right next to his work space are superimposed for the picture as with most things you see and hear you have to chose what you believe more so now its so easy to doctor pictures, that guy probably has never seen inside a workshop someone clever with graphics made it all up from other photos and he cannot be expected to know workshop rules he wants to sell saw blades.

Comment

While in the shop, I don't wear any jewellery, almost 95 % of the time have my hair tied back and sleeves rolled up.

Did have my wedding band squished many years ago working in a sign shop on a large aluminum screen for printing. It bruised the finger but no serious damage. I haven't worn a ring since then.

I also smoke, and use the table saw in many ways people would consider unsafe.

My stupidity balances out my smart safety practices.
                              http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

wow its a wounder the guys is still alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and to think he can make a musical instrument on that toy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                                English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Working...
                                X