Got my router out of my table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my router out of my table saw

Well it wasn't technically "in" my saw to begin with.

I did have it in the wing like many do. I found many times that the router fence got in the way. So I built a router table. I in-filled (is that a word) where the router used to be with a piece of counter top I salvaged a few years ago.

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Got my router out of my table saw

A router fence could be a simple 2x4 clamped to the saw. The easier thing to have done is to have made a fence that would fit over your table saw fence.which would allow you to use your fence to slide and adjust your router fence closer or further from your cutter.The key to this style of fence is to make sure your cutter does not hit your saw fence. Very easy to do.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      A router fence could be a simple 2x4 clamped to the saw. The easier thing to have done is to have made a fence that would fit over your table saw fence.which would allow you to use your fence to slide and adjust your router fence closer or further from your cutter.The key to this style of fence is to make sure your cutter does not hit your saw fence. Very easy to do.
      I have never been a fan of this solution because:
      1. You cannot use the tables saw without disturbing the router setup.
      2. It puts the fence on the wrong side of the bit, unless you want to walk to the back of the saw, which then prohibits a full length outfeed table.
      3. You could mount the router closer to the blade and move the fence to the other side of the bit, but that takes up more real estate on you saw surface and limits your laydown area for completed cuts on the saw.
      My router is mounted to the far right side of the TS with a dedicated router fence. A dedicated router table like you have done is best. If I had the room, I'd have one.
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

These are good solutions. I have considered some form of this on and off for the last 7 years. No matter what you do or how good it is implemented you will always have something there.

Really from the amount I use my router I could have gone with the Art Mulder solution for fixed routing.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

I have never been a fan of this solution because:
          1. You cannot use the tables saw without disturbing the router setup.
          2. It puts the fence on the wrong side of the bit, unless you want to walk to the back of the saw, which then prohibits a full length outfeed table.
          3. You could mount the router closer to the blade and move the fence to the other side of the bit, but that takes up more real estate on you saw surface and limits your laydown area for completed cuts on the saw.
          My router is mounted to the far right side of the TS with a dedicated router fence. A dedicated router table like you have done is best. If I had the room, I'd have one.
          I suppose there could be downsides but typically going behind the saw or moving the fence over is not an issue. I find most often router parts done on the table are generally quite small. I also find by using my saw's fence it is real easy to apply very small adjustments moving the fence one way or the other. With a table you can lose that degree of micro movement. The real answer is a shaper but not everyone is comfortable with costs etc. For me I have the space but refuse to use it for something that could sit there unused for weeks.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

So I bought a new flush trim bit yesterday

​​​​

Comment

So I bought a new flush trim bit yesterday.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20190105_094544.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1217261
              This gave me way too much joy.

My goal is to build some chairs this year and I'm working to get my tools and techniques into place.
              I did a few test runs today with a template. Without the fence the dust went everywhere.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20190105_134832.jpg Views:	1 Size:	999.1 KB ID:	1217262

I had the big square from a dust collection kit left over so I cut it down and added some support to keep it vertical. I cut a slot in the support so I can use the same hold down that's used for the fence. Works quite well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190105_140442.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,020.7 KB ID:	1217265
              Wide angle shot of the whole thing.
              Last edited by klassenl; 01-05-2019, 04:04 PM.
              nnieman likes this.

Comment

"Today, 04:54 PM
                So I bought a new flush trim bit yesterday.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20190105_094544.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1217261
                This gave me way too much joy."

nothing better than a brand new router bit!!
                my shop is a beaver lodge
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Certainly shows how simple it is to make a router table surface and fence. You will have to cut the hole for the bit a little higher.
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

although i have an elaborate router table, i still use a router in my tablesaw extension, usually for rabbetting when my router table is set up for something else and i dont want to disturb it. of course that requires more than one router which many of us do have anyway
                    my shop is a beaver lodge
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I find this works very well. Pat Warner aka Routerman had some good thoughts on router tables, but sadly we lost him and his website.

Attached Files

Comment

Golly Gee, Goodness Gracious, he has the router fence on the wrong side. He can't do that!!! LMAO now.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Golly Gee, Goodness Gracious, he has the router fence on the wrong side. He can't do that!!! LMAO now.
                          So is mine ... I'm so embarrassed .... ok, not really When I set mine up I thought it would be awkward and it's really not that bad. If I ever get to have a bigger shop again I'll put it back on the other side with a bigger table. I don't have a bandsaw on the other side.

Comment

Working...
                          X