Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" blade on 9" saw

Hi,
    I'm new here even though I've been following the forum for the past year or so (you damn people cost me over $10,000 in tools and a girlfriend!! LOL)

Anyway, I've been setting up my shop and its coming along quite nicely. I know I need to invest in a "real" table saw, but as you can probably guess from the above, my tool budget for the year is pretty much tapped and I need money for materials! ... I have been trying to straighten the sheet metal table on my old Rockwell table and get the fence to stay square for more then 3 cuts, but realize that at the least I'm going to have to build a new top and fence.... My problem is that with the 9" blade and a 3/4" sheet on top of it, I wouldn't have enough blade left to get through 1-1/2" of wood. Is it safe to put a 10" blade on it or would he extra inch put strain on the motor and result in vibration? .. I really can't see it being a problem, but I figured I may as well ask before risking sending a saw blade through my leg.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 10" blade on 9" saw

I don't imagine it's a great idea to try and fit a larger blade on a saw designed for a specific size.

but if I read that correctly, you are doing this so you can add, and leave in place, a 3/4' sheet of plywood as a "new table" on top of the old...??

that seems un-necessary, and though I haven't seen your saw, I can't imagine enough table damage that a new top is warranted. Fences can be troublesome, old/loose versions more so than normal, but I'd be more apt to source a newer saw, before "re building" one in such rough shape.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

The 9'' rockwell can not take a 10'' blade. Better buy a used saw, they are easy to find these days.
      Rob

Comment

Beakie, this video shows pretty close to what I had in mind (skip to the end of the video, I'm expecting my build would be much more solid, but the final look is basically what I was thinking
        .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkkmuBHT4U

Last edited by WeQuick; 12-31-2018, 12:36 AM.

Comment

The amp rating on your table saw motor might give a good indication of what it can handle. Any chance of a trial run before any work is done.
          I’ve no knowledge of your saw but is it possible to completely remove the old top? If replacing top consider 1/4 or 3/8 in steel plate tha is large enough to cover the attachment points. Then extensions and additions could be bolted on???
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Years ago I had a Rockwell Beaver 9" table saw. Is that what you have? If so, you have my sympathy. It was a complete turd & no amount of fiddling with it would make it right. The way the table is made makes it difficult to fit an aftermarket fence. But that's actually a good thing because that would have been throwing good money after bad.

I finally sold it for $50 & was so happy to see it gone.

For just a few hundred dollars you could find a nice used contractor saw that would be a much better solution that trying to scab together a new top like guy in the video did.

Comment

Originally posted by WeQuick View Post
              Beakie, this video shows pretty close to what I had in mind (skip to the end of the video, I'm expecting my build would be much more solid, but the final look is basically what I was thinking
              .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkkmuBHT4U
              I understand what the end result would be, however the time & $$ invested trying to improve a cheap saw could be saved and spent on an actual better saw.

If you have toughed it out this long with what you have, going a little longer in order to save for a better saw would be worth it IMO. Otherwise you'll be spending $$ on this saw, which won't be as capable as you would like.
              [insert something witty here]

Comment

Yes drzaius, its that exact ******* saw! .... I messed around with it all day and got the tops and slider bars all straight and repainted the top.... Saw is more solid and smooth then it EVER was, but after getting an emergency plumbing job this evening (New Years eve, CHA-CHING!!) I have decided to take all your advice and start looking for a new saw and catch some sucker for this piece of restored crap for $50 like drzaius did!!

I have found one saw that looks interesting, but there is no info on it and it says to contact him for the price. I will write him today, but figured I would ask you pros first what you think of it and how much you think I should offer, or if you think that this saw would be way over my $250 or so budget?

Thanks for all the help! ... It was easy with all my other tools, they're all pretty new and good names, (Milwaukee 12 sliding mitre saw, King Canada 6" jointer, etc) but when it comes to table saws, the new stuff seems flimsy and Craftsman seems to actually makes some decent old stuff, so I figure asking is best.

Here's a link to the saw I was looking at (sorry, its in french, but like I said, it doesn't say anything anyway): https://www.kijiji.ca/v-outils-elect...ationFlag=true

Comment

OH !! And HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
                  beachburl likes this.

Comment

If that is a direct drive don't pay more than 50$.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                      If that is a direct drive don't pay more than 50$.
                      That sounds like "don't buy it." to me.

Noel
                      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                      "
                      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I'd invest in a new rigid. Not that expensive I got one last year and it's the single best upgrade ever to my shop.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
                          I'd invest in a new rigid. Not that expensive I got one last year and it's the single best upgrade ever to my shop.
                          I've had a 3650 for about 10 years and have been very happy with it, so I can second this advice. Over your 250 budget, though (although you might be able to find a used one around that price)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

I paid $100.00 for a used 50's era Unisaw. Plugged it in and played all day.
                            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Ok, y'all had me looking at Ridgid's all day! Most of them were sheet metal tops, there was one 3650 that the person is asking $500 fr and says its in new condition, but only shows a picture of a brand new saw from a store's stock photo and it is about a 2.5 hour drive in each direction .... Found this King Canada saw about 15 min from my house... any thoughts on it? My jointer is a King and after I took it all apart and put it together to my liking, it works like a charm! .... He's asking $250, so I'd offer $200 of course... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1139598926742/

Comment

Working...
                              X