Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a new wood -- opinions and ideas welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need a new wood -- opinions and ideas welcome!

Originally posted by schor View Post
    My favorites are walnut and cherry with birdseye or tiger maple thrown in for contrast. Do not like oak except for floors and regular maple is just to boring.
    Steve, don't forget spalted maple for contrast, one of my favorites! Ditto on the oak and maple with the exception maybe to QS white in certain applications.
    schor likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I don't think there are many North American hardwoods that would not fall into the realm of red and white Oak, Ash, Maple, Birch, Cherry and Walnut in terms of colours and grain choices. For example Beech and Butternut etc. are very similar to the others. Beyond that you have to get into exotics and that's where I draw the line because of the issues that come with them in terms of allergens and respiratory Problems. The softwoods offer very little choice from Pine to Cedar with Fir in the middle. I think that's the reason stain was invented. If you can make Maple look like Walnut, that to me is enough to demonstrate the possibilities of colour choice.
      Les Groeller likes this.

Comment

One of my favourite wood for strong grain and strong colour is Elm. Unfortunately it can sometimes also look a bit green(ish), but for grain impact ... it's not too bad.

Comment

Elm slabs milled this summer. This was a local land mark twin trunk white elm, a great loss. Click image for larger version

Name:	elm milling4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	562.9 KB
ID:	1216840

Click image for larger version

Name:	elm milling6.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	1216839

Comment

Never used elm, but I'd agree that it does have a pretty cool grain. My in laws have some elm furniture and I quite like it.

I've been told it smells pretty bad when milling it though; true?

-Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Yellow Birch can be very nice.
              • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

If you start your project with rough lumber, Hickory can be very rewarding for a ultra strong and unique look with well placed grains. Plus finishes simpler to oak.

Comment

I love the idea of reclaimed wood. I have worked with spalted birch and maple and you get some incredibly beautiful looks. Also, that beetle killed pine was pretty cool looking. I agree that it could be over the top, but is it ever eye catching.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
                    One of my favourite wood for strong grain and strong colour is Elm. Unfortunately it can sometimes also look a bit green(ish), but for grain impact ... it's not too bad.
                    Red elm is beautiful wood IMHO. It has the contrast of oak and ash, but has a secondary "ghost" grain similar to what hackberry has. It is prone to some movement, but if you let it acclimate before dimensioning it helps alot. I actually planed it, let it acclimate for a couple of days, then dimension to final...no issues. It's a stalky stringy wood that tends for fuzz more than most woods when cut, but it's also very strong.
                    Egon likes this.
                    Graco Magnum 262800 X5 - best paint sprayer for cabinets
                    MMD7NP – best pinless moisture meter for wood

Comment

Interesting wood comes in all species. It depends on milled cuts and type of circumstances the tree grew in.

I like them all. ( looks, feel, smell, workability ). Pine, balsam fir are exspecially attractive to my ollifactory senses.
                      Egon
                      from
                      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                        Have you ever considered quartered white oak. Can look very contemporary, perhaps apply a light 5% white Rubio Monocoat oil rub-on / rub-off. If you have walnut, this combination could work. -Wayne
                        Hi Wayne You seem to be a fan of the Rubio Monocoat, I would like some information not put out by those trying to sell it, I am embarking on a multy wood chest of draws I want to keep the texture of the grain and enhance the colours.
                        I read that it is a one coat application question 1 is "can it manage 2 coats and will it look different?
                        I see there are lots of other products pushed as in cleaners / restorers have you any experience with these, is it a long term product that dosen't need constant attention?
                        I don't want to derail this thread so PM me if necessary or start a new thread.
                        Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

Hi Wayne You seem to be a fan of the Rubio Monocoat, I would like some information not put out by those trying to sell it, I am embarking on a multy wood chest of draws I want to keep the texture of the grain and enhance the colours.
                          I read that it is a one coat application question 1 is "can it manage 2 coats and will it look different?
                          I see there are lots of other products pushed as in cleaners / restorers have you any experience with these, is it a long term product that dosen't need constant attention?
                          I don't want to derail this thread so PM me if necessary or start a new thread.
                          Thanks in advance.
                          Hi Bob,

don't want to hijack this thread, so i will post a reply to your Rubio question in the finishes section.

Cheers
                          Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X