Router Table Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Table Recommendations

I thinking of buying a new benchtop router table to replce my old "cheapie" which I have never been totally happy with. I don't want to spend a fortune but want something better than what I have now.

Almost narrowed the choice down to the Kreg model or a Bosch. Both are good name brands but different in what you get for the money.

Any recommendations between these two, or others would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Router Table Recommendations

ive used the veritas(lee valley) steel top with the fence and crosscut slide

it has a shop built cabinet underneath from the plans included with the top

very pleased with it

it has a bosch 2hp under it
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I would not spend any money unless I had a table top lift included. The ability to dial in a precise setting makes all the difference in the world. I don't know if the two models you are interested in have this feature.

Comment

Check out Bob Hunter of Wood Magazine very informative on all aspects of the router process:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh6uzm9DTaw
        Marv

Comment

I blew the wad on a Jessem Masterlift system complete with the fence. Looks after close to a grand but it is a delight to use.
          Glenn
          stotto and dwoody like this.

Comment

the bosch router in my veritas has above table height adjustment with an ordinary allen key as did the freud before it, no need for a fancy lift system
            Rusty likes this.
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

You should buy a router lift and make your own table.

I'm super happy with the lower priced model Jessem lift I bought for my Makita 2.5 hp router.

I set it into the a 3/4" ply Paulk style work bench, adjustable shop built fence on t-tracks, over and under table dust collection...it works great... Cheaper than the Bosch or Kreg portable tables that don't include a lift... and Jessem is made in Canada...
              stevem and Redneck Albertan like this.

Comment

I also have the Jessem Rout-R-Lift, sunk into a laminate plank, and it shaves hours off what i used to do

Comment

I bought a used Jessum router table with a P-C VS router, best investment ever!
                  sigpic
                  hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

I have the Bosch table and am happy with it. I use it for all my box banding inlay. My router has a "precise" setting (also Bosch) and this table allows easy access to that setting.

Comment

I have several Bosch 1617 evs routers. I also have one of the bases that fits those routers and it is just as Stevem reports above you stick an auxiliary T handled allen key thru the table into the micro adjust knob on the base and you can lift or drop the router. I don't use it that way because i have a Jessem lift, but it will definitely work. The base comes with one model of the 1617 or as an option if you have a 1617 which is all you will ever need. I spin 3-1/2 inch raised panel bits with it. You should b able to find it on the net.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

This is the base you want if you choose to go that route. Bosch RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key

"Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I had originally thought of using my existing table top and purchasing a plate and other accesories to upgrade it but the cost to do that seemed to be about the same as a new reasonably priced table, especially since I would have to cut out the hole for the router plate as my current set-up only has a hole for the bit.

After reading your comments about a lift, I will revisit that option or buy the parts and build a new table to accept them.

Thanks again.

John

Comment

I had a variety of set ups over time, but I needed space and versatility so now I have a Festool table and I have a Festool router in it. Very versatile, can use it sitting on a bench or standing up on its legs, good dust collection and it can travel to jobsites. Not inexpensive but amazingly functional. If I was building another table I would incorporate lots of the feature from the festool into it.

Comment

A semi-off topic question for those with a Bosch 1617 router in a table:

Do you do bit changes above the table, or do you remove the motor from the table to do bit changes?

This question applies to both those using the Bosch mounting, and a third party router lift.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X