X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John
    started a topic Router Table Recommendations

Router Table Recommendations

I thinking of buying a new benchtop router table to replce my old "cheapie" which I have never been totally happy with. I don't want to spend a fortune but want something better than what I have now.

Almost narrowed the choice down to the Kreg model or a Bosch. Both are good name brands but different in what you get for the money.

Any recommendations between these two, or others would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Fetcham View Post
    When you make your table I strongly recommend that you make a fully enclosed cabinet to house the router underneath the table. Equip the back or side of it with a 3 or 4 inch port to connect to your extraction system. This, combined with a port on the fence, will make a huge difference to extraction efficiency. Enclosing the router in this way will also make a significant difference to noise levels, particularly if you line it with acoustic foam. It would be good to see some pics of the finiished article.

Jim
    I second that recommendation. I did it with mine and most of the dust has been eliminated, thought there are instances (like dados) where the dust cannot be captured with the collector. The door at the front is held in place by magnets. Since this pic was taken I have added a router lift.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	router.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.9 KB ID:	1218028

Leave a comment:

• Fetcham
    replied
    When you make your table I strongly recommend that you make a fully enclosed cabinet to house the router underneath the table. Equip the back or side of it with a 3 or 4 inch port to connect to your extraction system. This, combined with a port on the fence, will make a huge difference to extraction efficiency. Enclosing the router in this way will also make a significant difference to noise levels, particularly if you line it with acoustic foam. It would be good to see some pics of the finiished article.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• ehender2
    replied
    Rockler has a new one that can be used on the bench or mounted on a wall. I have only seen it reviewed in Popular Woodworking(Feb 2019) but it looks like it could be stable. I have not looked at it on the Rockler site either.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    pics for your consideration. #1 above table #2 fence behind router #3 fence sitting on TS fence #4 TS fence on the other side of the router.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1970.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	1217608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1971.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1217609Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1972.JPG
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1217610Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1973.JPG
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1217611

Bit changes are dead simple. router is 1617. shop vac fits in round hole cut out. fence either side means I can stand on either side to feed in any direction I want. I could also simply clamp the router fence to the table and never use the TS fence. I've been meaning to make a new one for 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• WoodBob
    replied
    Originally posted by rfielder View Post
    A semi-off topic question for those with a Bosch 1617 router in a table:

Do you do bit changes above the table, or do you remove the motor from the table to do bit changes?

This question applies to both those using the Bosch mounting, and a third party router lift.

Thanks!
    I have the Bosch MRP23EVS and have never removed it from the table. Bits are very easy to change in the table.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Above the table and I have a Jessem lift now but I Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1943.JPG
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	1217602 had a a simple Jessem plate before without lift and changed bits from above. by simply raising the collet uo as high as it would go. I think I have a pic somewhere. I'll try to post it.

Leave a comment:

• rfielder
    replied
    Originally posted by dwoody View Post
    I have a Jessem table with lift. It takes a 1617 motor without the mounting base.
    Dennis - thanks!

How do you change bits? Does the Jessem bring it up far enough to change bits above the table?

Leave a comment:

• dwoody
    replied
    I have a Jessem table with lift. It takes a 1617 motor without the mounting base.

Leave a comment:

• rfielder
    replied
    A semi-off topic question for those with a Bosch 1617 router in a table:

Do you do bit changes above the table, or do you remove the motor from the table to do bit changes?

This question applies to both those using the Bosch mounting, and a third party router lift.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Bob in Weyburn
    replied
    I had a variety of set ups over time, but I needed space and versatility so now I have a Festool table and I have a Festool router in it. Very versatile, can use it sitting on a bench or standing up on its legs, good dust collection and it can travel to jobsites. Not inexpensive but amazingly functional. If I was building another table I would incorporate lots of the feature from the festool into it.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Thanks for all the comments and advice. I had originally thought of using my existing table top and purchasing a plate and other accesories to upgrade it but the cost to do that seemed to be about the same as a new reasonably priced table, especially since I would have to cut out the hole for the router plate as my current set-up only has a hole for the bit.

After reading your comments about a lift, I will revisit that option or buy the parts and build a new table to accept them.

Thanks again.

John

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    This is the base you want if you choose to go that route. Bosch RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    I have several Bosch 1617 evs routers. I also have one of the bases that fits those routers and it is just as Stevem reports above you stick an auxiliary T handled allen key thru the table into the micro adjust knob on the base and you can lift or drop the router. I don't use it that way because i have a Jessem lift, but it will definitely work. The base comes with one model of the 1617 or as an option if you have a 1617 which is all you will ever need. I spin 3-1/2 inch raised panel bits with it. You should b able to find it on the net.

Leave a comment:

• WoodBob
    replied
    I have the Bosch table and am happy with it. I use it for all my box banding inlay. My router has a "precise" setting (also Bosch) and this table allows easy access to that setting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X