Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Willow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Willow

    I always wondered but keep forgetting to ask. Why have I never heard about someone using willow wood?

    As a tree a lot of people complain that it's not very strong, but neither is balsa

    Is that it, perhaps combined with a very twisty grain?

    If I had any time to spare I'd love to try to use it just to see what it's like.
    Andrew Smith
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Willow

    Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
    I always wondered but keep forgetting to ask. Why have I never heard about someone using willow wood?

    As a tree a lot of people complain that it's not very strong, but neither is balsa

    Is that it, perhaps combined with a very twisty grain?

    If I had any time to spare I'd love to try to use it just to see what it's like.
    I've seen stuff made with willow.
    Iirc, the grain was fairly bland, actually.
    And it's fairly soft, yeah.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Willow

      I think Willow is an underused wood, in Cricket it is used for the bats IIRC, it quite strong for it’s weight, but yes it is fairly soft, much like Poplar (true Poplar like Cottonwood).

      Bland like lots of woods, but if painted you would not know the difference , Tulip wood (Magnolia) aka yellow Poplar, is bland and not very hard and still it’s used a lot.

      I have turned Willow, and yes it is not very hard as I said, dead easy to dry without any spitting or checking, a bit stringy when wet, but otherwise it works well.

      Here is a larger platter and a close-up of the grain, not a bad wood for something like this IMO

      One caveat though, there are a very large number of different willows in Canada, most stay small, these are made from the large growing Black Willow.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	Willow Platter.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	1217209

      Click image for larger version  Name:	Willow woodgrain.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.7 KB ID:	1217210
      KenL and stotto like this.

      Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Willow

        That looks quite nice!
        Andrew Smith

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Willow

          Willow is not usually available. Yes it is soft and uninteresting, but I ran across some when I built my maple and black walnut desk. I used it
          for the drawer sides and backs. It seems to be standing up just fine.
          John

          Click image for larger version

Name:	DCAA0034-F5F0-47DD-9DF1-23365E156E5F.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	1217235
          beachburl likes this.
          If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Willow

            Willow works well for smoking sausage & bacon.

            Diamond willow is quite popular for canes or walking sticks.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Willow

              I made a cane about 30 yrs ago with Diamond willow, pick up the wood while on military exercise in Wainwright Alta.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	willow wood.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	1217280

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Willow

                Nicely finished.
                Lots of small willow in Alberta. We used to use it for fence posts.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Willow

                  Originally posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post
                  I made a cane about 30 yrs ago with Diamond willow, pick up the wood while on military exercise in Wainwright Alta.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	willow wood.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	1217280
                  ha, when I was in Wainright for an exercise my Sgt was always on the hunt for some diamond willow for the same reason.
                  [insert something witty here]

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Willow

                    What a lovely grain pattern, Leo! I must say that I've never seen such a large speciman. Most of the willow I've seen (I'm from Saskatchewan where it grows along streams and wet sloughs) is only useable for bent willow chairs.

                    Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
                    I think Willow is an underused wood, in Cricket it is used for the bats IIRC, it quite strong for it’s weight, but yes it is fairly soft, much like Poplar (true Poplar like Cottonwood).

                    Bland like lots of woods, but if painted you would not know the difference , Tulip wood (Magnolia) aka yellow Poplar, is bland and not very hard and still it’s used a lot.

                    I have turned Willow, and yes it is not very hard as I said, dead easy to dry without any spitting or checking, a bit stringy when wet, but otherwise it works well.

                    Here is a larger platter and a close-up of the grain, not a bad wood for something like this IMO

                    One caveat though, there are a very large number of different willows in Canada, most stay small, these are made from the large growing Black Willow.

                    Click image for larger version Name:	Willow Platter.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	1217209

                    Click image for larger version Name:	Willow woodgrain.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.7 KB ID:	1217210
                    All the best,

                    Marty

                    President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

                    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Willow

                      Marty the Black Willow trees and the weeping Willows grow big and fast, they grow best at wetter areas, all of the Willow species do like that condition and rich soils, here are two pictures of trees in the Ottawa arboretum where I like to walk around when ever we are in Ottawa, there are big trees there, but in other areas in S. Ontario there are very large trees in Parks and conservation areas.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Willow tree.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1217801

                      Eyeing a burl on a very large Black Willow
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Willow and burl.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1217802

                      Have fun and take care
                      Leo Van Der Loo

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Willow



                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Willow and burl.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1217802

                        Battery powered chainsaws are not too loud!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X