X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AndrewSmith
    started a topic Willow

Willow

I always wondered but keep forgetting to ask. Why have I never heard about someone using willow wood?

As a tree a lot of people complain that it's not very strong, but neither is balsa

Is that it, perhaps combined with a very twisty grain?

If I had any time to spare I'd love to try to use it just to see what it's like.

• iamtooler
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	Willow and burl.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1217802

Battery powered chainsaws are not too loud!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Van Der Loo
    replied
    Marty the Black Willow trees and the weeping Willows grow big and fast, they grow best at wetter areas, all of the Willow species do like that condition and rich soils, here are two pictures of trees in the Ottawa arboretum where I like to walk around when ever we are in Ottawa, there are big trees there, but in other areas in S. Ontario there are very large trees in Parks and conservation areas.

Name:	Willow tree.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1217801

Eyeing a burl on a very large Black Willow

Name:	Willow and burl.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1217802

Leave a comment:

• MartyFromKingston
    replied
    What a lovely grain pattern, Leo! I must say that I've never seen such a large speciman. Most of the willow I've seen (I'm from Saskatchewan where it grows along streams and wet sloughs) is only useable for bent willow chairs.

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    I think Willow is an underused wood, in Cricket it is used for the bats IIRC, it quite strong for itís weight, but yes it is fairly soft, much like Poplar (true Poplar like Cottonwood).

Bland like lots of woods, but if painted you would not know the difference , Tulip wood (Magnolia) aka yellow Poplar, is bland and not very hard and still itís used a lot.

I have turned Willow, and yes it is not very hard as I said, dead easy to dry without any spitting or checking, a bit stringy when wet, but otherwise it works well.

Here is a larger platter and a close-up of the grain, not a bad wood for something like this IMO

One caveat though, there are a very large number of different willows in Canada, most stay small, these are made from the large growing Black Willow.

Click image for larger version Name:	Willow Platter.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	1217209

Click image for larger version Name:	Willow woodgrain.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.7 KB ID:	1217210

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post
    I made a cane about 30 yrs ago with Diamond willow, pick up the wood while on military exercise in Wainwright Alta.

Name:	willow wood.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	1217280
    ha, when I was in Wainright for an exercise my Sgt was always on the hunt for some diamond willow for the same reason.

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    Nicely finished.
    Lots of small willow in Alberta. We used to use it for fence posts.

Leave a comment:

• Jacques Leclerc
    replied
    I made a cane about 30 yrs ago with Diamond willow, pick up the wood while on military exercise in Wainwright Alta.

Name:	willow wood.jpg
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	1217280

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    Willow works well for smoking sausage & bacon.

Diamond willow is quite popular for canes or walking sticks.

Leave a comment:

• John@Hamilton
    replied
    Willow is not usually available. Yes it is soft and uninteresting, but I ran across some when I built my maple and black walnut desk. I used it
    for the drawer sides and backs. It seems to be standing up just fine.
    John

Name:	DCAA0034-F5F0-47DD-9DF1-23365E156E5F.jpeg
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	1217235

Leave a comment:

• AndrewSmith
    replied
    That looks quite nice!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Van Der Loo
    replied
    I think Willow is an underused wood, in Cricket it is used for the bats IIRC, it quite strong for itís weight, but yes it is fairly soft, much like Poplar (true Poplar like Cottonwood).

Bland like lots of woods, but if painted you would not know the difference , Tulip wood (Magnolia) aka yellow Poplar, is bland and not very hard and still itís used a lot.

I have turned Willow, and yes it is not very hard as I said, dead easy to dry without any spitting or checking, a bit stringy when wet, but otherwise it works well.

Here is a larger platter and a close-up of the grain, not a bad wood for something like this IMO

One caveat though, there are a very large number of different willows in Canada, most stay small, these are made from the large growing Black Willow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Willow Platter.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	1217209

Click image for larger version  Name:	Willow woodgrain.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.7 KB ID:	1217210

Leave a comment:

• carbonBased
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
    I always wondered but keep forgetting to ask. Why have I never heard about someone using willow wood?

As a tree a lot of people complain that it's not very strong, but neither is balsa

Is that it, perhaps combined with a very twisty grain?

If I had any time to spare I'd love to try to use it just to see what it's like.
    I've seen stuff made with willow.
    Iirc, the grain was fairly bland, actually.
    And it's fairly soft, yeah.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X