Router Lifts and Bit Changing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Lifts and Bit Changing

I am looking for some experiences when using a router lift, either built in to the router or a third party lift, when bringing the router up to change the bit above the table.

From what I have seen, most router lifts move the router about 1/16" per revolution of the crank.

Does this mean that every time you have to change the bit, you have to crank and crank and crank? That would mean 16 turns to the inch, and bringing the router all the way up involves moving it more than an inch most times.

Or is there some shortcut that lets you bring it up all the way?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Router Lifts and Bit Changing

I have the Jessem lift (for a dewalt motor) and yes, you have to crank it a bunch to lift the bit to change it but it’s not as tedious as it sounds. takes all of 3-5 seconds. Well worth it!!

Before, i just had my fixed base screwed to a router plate. Was a REAL PITA adjusting and taking off for hand held use. Getting a Jessem (and a dedicated motor) was worth the $$$ and the cranking đŸ˜‰

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cam2112 - thanks! Jessem is on my list.

I am surprised that only Rockler has a way of moving the lift faster. Perhaps this is because, as you note, it is not as tedious as it sounds.

Comment

If you decide on the Jessem lift, get the template as well. I made my own,
        as I tend to remake my router top every few years, and in hind sight, the $25 for template would have been worth it.

Comment

i use the veritas steel top table and a bosch router. no need for a lift.
          i can access the height adjustment from under the table top or through the table top
          there is a quick release for the height adjustment so that the router can be lifted all the way up for bit changes
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Robert Check out he other thread where I put up pics. Yes it is a minute movement but as Cam suggests it's a couple of seconds top to bottom but what you're forgetting and it's the most important part is it's dead precise when you're adjusting depth of cut up or down combined with the ability to go back to a particular setting if need be!
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Rusty, how do you go back to a particular setting (maybe i should read the manual beyond the setup guide?) =)

Comment

Cam on the face of the dial is 1/64th calibrations. I'm not sure if they show up in the pics but I will go and take a better pic perhaps. Give me a minute.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

50 full turns top to bottom 4/64 th's per turn.

Pic above and below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1974.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	1217638Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975.JPG
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1217639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.JPG
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1217640Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1977.JPG
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1217641
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

The woodpecker lift that I have (https://www.woodpeck.com/routing/rou...uter-lift.html) has the fine adjustment with a dial like in Rusty's photos. It also has a separate rod that can be inserted into the router plate to bypass the threaded mechanism to raise and lower the router without turning. This is quick, but you then lose the ability to get back to a specific height. In most cases, this does not matter to me since I need to re-calibrate any time that I change a router bit.

David

Comment

That’s a nice router lift! Wish they can with a solid insert to be put in place when not in use

Comment

Originally posted by Cam2112 View Post
                        That’s a nice router lift! Wish they can with a solid insert to be put in place when not in use

I’ve had that lift for quite a few years and I really like it. Mine came with a solid insert, so they may still sell those.

Name:	44782550-FAAA-4708-B19E-70F021ABE3B0.jpeg
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1217654
                        Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

I have a plunge base router in my table. I lower it all the way with the plunge released then put the bit through the table. I then plunge the router to "close" and use the router's fine adjustment to get it perfect. Takes me under a minute to change bits and get my depth set.

Comment

Originally posted by Cam2112 View Post

Cam the Jessem comes with various size inserts but the majority of lifts are pretty damn good and bit changes from the top can be achieved even with a bent handle on a wrench or a push rod to lock the collet.

Name:	IMG_1978.JPG
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	1217666
                            "Do it Right!"

Comment

i find it ironic that we spend hundreds of dollars to make a 200 buck router do its job!!

tongue in cheek of course!!

my router table cost way more than the brand new bosch router in it
                              my shop is a beaver lodge
                              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Working...
                              X