Shaving horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving horse

Not a new project but thought I would share a simple shaving horse. The legs are the same just one upside down and sideways. The top block rotates with two sizes of v groves to grip. A couple strap hinges and an angled wood hammer to adjust the clamp table. 5 mins sitting here and I am ready to find a power tool to plug in but that’s just me.
    nnieman, WCraig and 2 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Shaving horse

Interesting legs. Looks good.

I have been thinking of building one for out at the lake. Sit and watch fire and trim alder for basket staves. No power out there.
    eblack likes this.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by eblack View Post
      ...... 5 mins sitting here and I am ready to find a power tool to plug in but that’s just me.
      Just curious to know why you said this? No previous experience, the pace /style of work, not comfortable or efficient/effective to use?
      Given the time and opportunity I like hand tool work but not a constant diet of it. I would need the right projects to hold my interest and present challenge.

Comment

Hi Rick if I am peeling a few pieces its fine, a good sharp draw knife and a foam pad to sit on you could go all day. I usually take dead pine and spruce so the bark and small branches take a little more effort. Green wood is effortless. My problem is trying to do too much at once and I get impatient. It’s a cheap project and quick to make I would make another if something happened to that one. You won’t be disappointed having it around.

Comment

Here’s mine. A primitive dumb head horse.
          I use it for my Windsor chairs. I have oak soaking in stock trough in the garage. Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	1218225
          Last edited by Harry in Toronto; 01-10-2019, 05:16 PM.
          eblack likes this.

Comment

I like those a little more authentic design, I see them a lot in wheelwright pictures shaping spokes

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X