20" cutting board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20" cutting board

I have been asked to build a 20" wide by 30" long end grain cutting board. I only have a 15" planer and a 24" dual drum sander. I am wondering if the drum sander will flatten the initial glue up prior to cutting the strips to be flipped and re-glued. Or should i seek out a 20" planer
    thanks
    Al
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 20" cutting board

I don't see why not.
    Obviously that flatter you clamp it, the better.

-Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB counter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1218242
      Originally posted by akuntz View Post
      I have been asked to build a 20" wide by 30" long end grain cutting board. I only have a 15" planer and a 24" dual drum sander. I am wondering if the drum sander will flatten the initial glue up prior to cutting the strips to be flipped and re-glued. Or should i seek out a 20" planer
      thanks
      Al
      Make 2 -10" x 30" glue ups and then join them after rough planing to size and then run them through the sander. It should be very easy if you keep everything nice and square and flat. I did one in 3 pcs. that was 36" x 48" and it turned out very nice with just 3 passes through a wide belt sander.
      ​​​​​​​
      al.m.. and redlee like this.

Comment

Wally do you use a drum sander or a wide belt sander

Comment

Sorry Wally never read your reply closely. Do you think a drum sander would make the two pieces flat enough for the 2nd generation cut and glue up

Comment

Originally posted by akuntz View Post
            Sorry Wally never read your reply closely. Do you think a drum sander would make the two pieces flat enough for the 2nd generation cut and glue up
            Yes -- as long as you take care when making the 2 pieces and then planing them and then joining them together. I did it with my old 25" drum sander too.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X