Chest of Draws for a wood show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chest of Draws for a wood show

The drawer pulls are all made, I glued the 2 halves of MDF together as seen above I then used that at my jig with a copy cutter to cut the recess in the white wood once the glue was dry I hot melt all the oversize pieces onto a thick board and fed them through the thicknesser to just skim them clean, on the drop saw I cut them to an accurate size including a 45 degree bevel on one edge and a small radius on all other corners, once sanded I will attach to the drawer fronts using a biscuit (not glued) I will remove and give every thing its final wax oil Osmo then glue the drawer pulls in place.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Sooo, Bob
      I don't remember reading what happens with your chest once the show is over.

Noel
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "
      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Where did you use the Timbermate Bob? That's good stuff.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          What is Timbermate?

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
            Sooo, Bob
            I don't remember reading what happens with your chest once the show is over.

Noel
            Since we moved town and rebuilt the house I don't have drawers that suit the bedroom I use so these drawers were built to suit the space in the room,
            I don't have to put a price on them for the show and the people who run the show want 20 % of anything that sells, you will no doubt realize at over 500 hours and I have spent about $1000 the price is going to be up there and I will add on the 20%, on the one hand I don't want to sell but I said that about a big platter I had turned I thought the price was too high and it found a buyer, if the drawers sell it will keep me busy with another and I will be buying quality material, either way is good.
            I started making my own furniture in the 1970s when I emigrated to NZ 'cos I had no money I used any board products I could get free so it been a life long apprenticeship I still have most of what I have made so it will be nice to keep this piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              I see it now, I have a few tiny gaps around those handles and thought some color rather than a black line, I may have to go buy the walnut color, I tried mixing some together yesterday so I will have a look today, yes its good stuff.
              All is not perfect, those long shank 1/4" router bits flex I think.

Comment

Looking finished.
                I made a jig so I could put a long biscuit slot at 45degrees for each of the handles then made my own biscuits to 95mm long X 20mm wide in the photo they are all dry fitted as I have given the drawer fronts one last wipe with Osmo oil wax the handles have had 3 coats too now so could be glued on tomorrow.
                I will give the whole cabinet one last wipe with Osmo too.
                I had half a plan to put a Yin Yang in each of the panels of the top it was going to consist of a oval piece of walnut with the Yin Yang in the center then let into the pommey veneer but on seeing the veneer in place I decided it would be wrong to take that much of such nice veneer away and it would be a distraction it didn't need.
                The Yin Yang will get used some where else.
                Over all size is 1450mm long 930mm high and 600mm deep.
                Roll on the exhibition, 27 to 30 September

Comment

Bob... the end is near, and you have a masterpiece almost completed. I am impressed with the overall concept, and execution of same. Your attention to detail is exceptional. My personal taste would have been to have plain drawer pulls, as I find there is almost an over-abundance of “whales”, but as this is not my work the opinion is not worth much. Well done sir, Roy
                  Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Wow. Have you ever thought of working for the king of France?
                    Frank
                    SPCHT

Comment

• Re: Chest of Draws for a wood show

Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
                      Bob... the end is near, and you have a masterpiece almost completed. I am impressed with the overall concept, and execution of same. Your attention to detail is exceptional. My personal taste would have been to have plain drawer pulls, as I find there is almost an over-abundance of “whales”, but as this is not my work the opinion is not worth much. Well done sir, Roy
                      Roy your opinion is worth something, I had always thought the front would be too much of one color and had given thought to using the white wood for the rails between the draws, I had considered doing something with the bottom rail but decided not to as its too close to the floor, as the front legs turn out on the 45 degree they are not so visible from the front on.
                      I was correct in my eyes the front is too much of one color I thought it needed lifting and the handles would do it, however I do agree with you, now it is a little overkill, at the moment the white is looking whiter than the same wood used on the legs that has more of a yellow cream look so maybe they will tone down.
                      This whole theme is one I have used on two other pieces in the house see the first posting, I will probably continue as per plan but what you say is food for thought.
                      Thanks

Comment

I was afraid you might ruin it with the whale pulls, but seeing it now I think you got it right. It is an over the top design so why not celebrate it as such. Well done!
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                          I was afraid you might ruin it with the whale pulls, but seeing it now I think you got it right. It is an over the top design so why not celebrate it as such. Well done!
                          Rob
                          Good comment Thanks
                          I agree with all you say.

Comment

Nice... Love seeing the progress.

Comment

Working...
                            X