ID:	1220778Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1190.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1220779Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.JPG
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	1220780 making this cabinet, made out of Oak, the front of the drawers are going to be out of cherry. This is a first for me with this numbers of drawers..
    Darrell, schor and 5 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cabinet for a knife collection

Looking good.
    John
    If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Seems like an awful lot of drawer slides for the light load that knives have. Is this your model/inspiration or did you already build this? If it is just the model I would suggest not using all those drawer slides and instead just make wood slides. Also don't most knife storage units want to display the knives? Maybe have an acrylic window on each door and a clear top for knife display. I also might suggest a large locking opening front single or double door (like a kitchen cabinet) with the individual drawers behind for added security.

Comment

A little bit too late, I am up to this into the construction, the cabinet is for me and my private collection and as far as security, I live alone, but I thank you just the same for your input.
        Jacques

Comment

Nice work Jacques. You certainly have a lot of knives. Please post a picture when you are finished and the knives are in their drawers.
          Kayak Jim likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
            Nice work Jacques. You certainly have a lot of knives. Please post a picture when you are finished and the knives are in their drawers.
            Will do, right now I have only about 30 knifes, but I am getting them from my son's father in law, he has a very lage collection ( close to 500 or maybe more) and slowy he is getting rid of them, he has two daughters and they are not interrested in the knifes. He just gave me during Xmas a very nice rifle 22 dated 1907.
            Jacques

Comment

Hey, Jacques,

Cool cabinet you're working on! Have you considered also adding a top of cherry to go along with the cherry drawer fronts?

Please let us know how this all turns out, as it's already looking nice. Thanks for sharing with us!!
              All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Hi Jacques,

I was wondering if you were aware that you can do a ganglock system with those side mount slides?

By having a shallow dado that houses a sliding bar, a single lock on the side can lock all the drawers at once.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                  Hey, Jacques,

Cool cabinet you're working on! Have you considered also adding a top of cherry to go along with the cherry drawer fronts?

Please let us know how this all turns out, as it's already looking nice. Thanks for sharing with us!!
                  The top is already made out of Oak, and yes I could always add a cherry top, will see how everything looks when done.
                  Have a nice week-end
                  Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by Rory in Maple Ridge View Post
                    Hi Jacques,

I was wondering if you were aware that you can do a ganglock system with those side mount slides?

By having a shallow dado that houses a sliding bar, a single lock on the side can lock all the drawers at once.
                    Nope, did not know about that, Rory, would you have a picture of of this locking devise, might be a good idea.
                    Have a nice week-end
                    Jacques

Comment

Kind of a little off-topic but I have been trying to find any info about the below knife given to me around 20 years ago. Any insight?

Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1221058Click image for larger version

Name:	k1.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1221057
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
                        Kind of a little off-topic but I have been trying to find any info about the below knife given to me around 20 years ago. Any insight?

Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1221058Click image for larger version

Name:	k1.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1221057
                        Can't help you with the knife but will fit great in my new cabinet. lol... just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post

Nope, did not know about that, Rory, would you have a picture of of this locking devise, might be a good idea.
                          Have a nice week-end
                          Jacques
                          compxtimberline_aug2014.pdf

Check out page 4 in this brochure. These are the lock systems we use, they are available from Hafele or Richelieu.

There is basically a shallow dado on the inside of one gable which houses a sliding flat bar that a lock can lift up and down.
                          On the bar are adjustable pins that engage the drawers by a screw-on stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Rory in Maple Ridge View Post

[ATTACH]n1221337[/ATTACH]

Check out page 4 in this brochure. These are the lock systems we use, they are available from Hafele or Richelieu.

There is basically a shallow dado on the inside of one gable which houses a sliding flat bar that a lock can lift up and down.
                            On the bar are adjustable pins that engage the drawers by a screw-on stop.
                            Thank Rory, I will keep this in mind for the next one, I guess for this one it is too late and don't want to take all the drawers sliders off and start again.
                            Have a nice week
                            Jacques

Comment

Well a little bit of work this morning on the cabinet, thisw thing is going to be some heavy when done lol..
                              Jacques Click image for larger version

Name:	tiroirs done 3.JPG
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1221453Click image for larger version

Name:	tiroirs done 2.JPG
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1221454Click image for larger version

Name:	tiroirs done 1.JPG
Size:	1.08 MB