Cabinet for a knife collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabinet for a knife collection

I think the long borders look fine but the ends look unfinished? Either scalloping the wood or cutting pennies in half would look better to me. Is the idea to pour a thick layer on top of the pennies without gluing them down first?
    Rob

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The problem with poured epoxy is getting rid of the air bubbles and there will be air under those pennies, if you have a higher boarder the epoxy will be drawn up the edge as water is in a glass so you could go for an edge 4mm or 5mm maybe 6mm higher than the pennies, paint (acrylic) the back board black of something, I wonder if by gluing each penny down you will eliminate the air problem under the pennies, when I did a bench top pour with epoxy the instructions said it needed a 23 degree temperature for 24 hours so the work piece has to be at 23 deg before you start, you can do multiple pours but you have to maintain that 23 deg, to get the trapped air out you wave a soft flame or a blow torch over the epoxy ( heat gun ) it makes the epoxy very thin and runny so it flows and brings the air the the surface but as soon as the heat is off it returns to its curing process in fact the heat speeds up the curing process, you also need the correct epoxy as there are so many kinds for different jobs.
      I do wonder about the epoxy pulling the top bent as it dries if it is only thin wood I have nothing to base this on so I could be all wrong.
      Have another try you have the talent to make this work.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
        I think the long borders look fine but the ends look unfinished? Either scalloping the wood or cutting pennies in half would look better to me. Is the idea to pour a thick layer on top of the pennies without gluing them down first?
        Rob
        Rob, this was the first picture I took, now the end board has half pennies, and yess all the penny will be glued on the board using epoxy, Will post picture when completely done.
        Jacques

Comment

Well folks, this is the end result, glued all pennies 1,470 and poured .25'' epoxy on top . lol..
          Jacques Click image for larger version

Name:	penney board final place 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	1227820Click image for larger version

Name:	penney board final place 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	1227819
          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Jacques.
            I'm thinking it must have taken some muscle to put it in place.

Noel
            "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "
            John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

It took two man to take it from my shop to my house, I hope you are talking obout the whole cabinet, because the penney top is about 20 lbs. lol..
              Takke good care
              Jacques

Comment

Well started to put knifes into my cabinet, so far 179 knifes lol.. Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.51 MB ID:	1240213Click image for larger version  Name:	collection couteaux 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1240215Click image for larger version  Name:	collection couteaux 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	1240216Click image for larger version  Name:	collection couteaux 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	1240217Click image for larger version  Name:	collection couteaux 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	1240218Click image for larger version  Name:	collection couteaux 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	1240219Click image for larger version  Name:	collection couteaux 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	1240220Click image for larger version  Name:	collection couteaux 8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	1240221Click image for larger version  Name:	collection couteaux 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	1240222
                Last edited by schor; 06-11-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Very nice Jacques, where do you get your slides and at what cost if you dont mind my asking? Whenever my (personal) project requires drawer Slides i cringe at the though of msrp and end up making my own lol

Comment

The top of penny's is very nice, it would be good to know of your trials and tribulations if you don't mind sharing them, there is always something to learn, did you do it yourself? did you have an air problem? what epoxy did you use? did you warm it up and for how long? and so on.

Comment

Wow you do have a lot of knives! The piece is beautiful! Make sure to update your will now with who gets it. Let me know if you need my contact info.....

Comment

Impressive cabinet
                        Egon
                        from
                        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

And this complete my wall, the sword on the right is dating 1871 and the same type of sword were used in the 1812 war. Very nice piece.
                          Jacques Click image for larger version

Name:	sword final 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	1240328Click image for larger version

Name:	sword final.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	1240329

Comment

Originally posted by dwight80 View Post
                            Very nice Jacques, where do you get your slides and at what cost if you dont mind my asking? Whenever my (personal) project requires drawer Slides i cringe at the though of msrp and end up making my own lol
                            Slides are from Tout pour l'armoire for example 16'' long for $6.19 a pair, good for 100 lbs and life warranty. excellent products

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
                              The top of penny's is very nice, it would be good to know of your trials and tribulations if you don't mind sharing them, there is always something to learn, did you do it yourself? did you have an air problem? what epoxy did you use? did you warm it up and for how long? and so on.
                              The top is made usinf 1470 penneys, what I did is clean them up a little bit with just a dry cloth, each penney is glued on a half inch russian birch, one quater inch epoxy is poured onto the pennies, yes there were bubble but with a small blow torch no problem everyting went very well, you just have to watch for the bubble to come up, the board has to be level, my next projet will be doing part of my bedroom floor, I just bought $100.00 worth of pennies, and I need about $300.00 . Will get you tyhe name of the epoxy when I get in my shop this morning, will send you a picture of gthe can.
                              Take good care and have a nice day
                              Jacques

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190612075359701_COVER.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	1240363 this is the epoxy I used.

Comment

Working...
                                X