Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I inlay brass wire?

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

I have turned a bowl of London Plane and being pale I thought a good place to have a copper inlay, I cut a groove not too deep so I didn't waste the powder.
    I laid the powder in ( not easy) then hit it with the CA glue first I tried a medium the drop of CA hit the powder and curled up and dried leaving the powder below untouched, so out comes the thin stuff it would not settle on the powder but sat on the wood at the side then decided to soak into the powder so I chased it the whole way around the bowl this way I directed the nozzle of the CA towards the copper powder but it tracked to the wood then soaked into the copper, so it was a big mess I left it over night, today I carefully applied a negative rake turning chisel and go a good result I was left with 5 very small blemishes that I put a little powder in and more CA glue 3 hours later I am cleaning it up again and have gone too deep and into the bottom of the groove.
    If only I has made the groove deeper in the beginning, its all a learning curve.
    Start again.
    Do it twice do it nice.
    Photos, since then I have tried again with a bigger mess, its time to do something else??

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I mean no offence folks but nothing that you do to ground up brass is going to look like shiny brass inlaid into the wood; period. Woodbob will have to inlay brass to make it look like brass.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Werdthebarbarrian View Post
        I may be new here and not wanting to put my foot in my mouth, but assuming the wire is round, would you be able to use a V bit in your router set to half the depth of the wire to cut the groove. This way some of the wire will be protruding and you would be able to Shave/Sand/Scrape the edge flush and still have that Beautiful look?
        This should work as long as the "v" part doesn't go wider than the wire. I'll try a sample using my chasing hammer and see how it comes out.

Also I think the powdered is a good idea for curved inlays but not for this job. I got in the bar stock I ordered and am planning on just routing a groove and gluing it in with probably epoxy but might try CA. My concern now is I don't want to damage my nice new Freud blade (not Diablo!). I need to use it to cut the 45 bevels on this frame. So my quandary is do I route the recess now and add the brass inlay after the frame is assembled or add it before and cut it with the 45 (Using the Freud)? If I cut the brass with the 45 I know it will match up perfect when I glue the frame together. If I could be certain the blade would not be damaged I would add it before cutting the 45s.

Comment

Cutting the brass wire will not damage a carbide blade or a HSS one for that matter! I use HSS slitting saws mounted in the milling machine on my brass tools and the blades rarely need to be sharpened for this application. I cut some brass sheet (sandwiched between layers of fibreboard for support) with the table saw in the years before I bought my metal cutting band saw and there were no ill effects on the saw blades.

Ken
          WoodBob likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X