End Grain Cutting Board - Gaps After Second Glue up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: End Grain Cutting Board - Gaps After Second Glue up

end grain boards are made form a bunch of small and narrow cut pieces glued into strips. Obviously to line up properly they have to be the same size exactly, but only if you're after absolute perfection.That's the critical part but you can start with more manageable and shorter stock to achieve your result so don't try to make an 8 foot board all exactly the same. Only the boards in a strip need be the same size if you can accept a slight variation.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I spent some time today tinkering with my router flattening jig since properly flattening each board before the glue up is key. I think I may have dialed in the jig. I am going go do a few more test runs with some scrap pieces, but I should be able to flatten the face of each board using this method. I can face joint with the router jig and edge joint with a table saw sled.
      Attached Files

Comment

So, are you done?
        What does the finished product look like?

Noel
        "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "
        John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
          So, are you done?
          What does the finished product look like?

Noel
          Unfortunately couldn't finish it on Saturday. I had to cut my shop time short. And unfortunately I won't be back in the shop until Saturday, so I should have it done this weekend. I just need to finish flatten the surface with my router flattening jig, sand, and apply a mineral oil finish.

Comment

There may be some confusion as to what surface the OP is flattening prior to glue up. The faces that glue together need to be really flat, which is called jointing that face. That's what needs to be done prior to glue up. The faces that will ultimately form the top & bottom of the board do not need to be perfectly flat & the pieces don't even need to be exactly the same dimension. Just get 'em close. When gluing up there will always be a little bit of movement, so no matter how careful you are, there will still be a need to flatten the glued up board.

Comment

Reading through it again I think you are right Dr Z. If I can I will delete that last post of mine. I've been confused through this entire thread, My fault!
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                There may be some confusion as to what surface the OP is flattening prior to glue up. The faces that glue together need to be really flat, which is called jointing that face. That's what needs to be done prior to glue up. The faces that will ultimately form the top & bottom of the board do not need to be perfectly flat & the pieces don't even need to be exactly the same dimension. Just get 'em close. When gluing up there will always be a little bit of movement, so no matter how careful you are, there will still be a need to flatten the glued up board.
                Correct. I need to do a better job of flattening the face of the board once the first glue up has dried. The attached photo shows what I'm calling the first glue up. This will help everything fit together flush for the second glue up (when I go to cut the strips and rotate the pieces 90 degrees to expose the end grain). Again I should be able to do this with router flattening jig. I just need to verify my jig setup and double check flatness across the surface of the first glue up with a straight edge.

Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a hand plane? I think that would be a lot faster & easier that jointing all those skinny pieces with a router jig.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                    Do you have a hand plane? I think that would be a lot faster & easier that jointing all those skinny pieces with a router jig.
                    I do have a number 5 jack plane. My hand planing skills are very limited, so I would need to practice on some scrap boards first. Any good videos or articles on how to flatten a board with a hand plane?

Comment

Just do a search on youtube. There's lots of them. This project is actually a good place to hone your planing skills cause your just dealing with an edge that needs to be jointed. I remember in junior high woodshop, jointing a board edge straight & square was one of the first things we learned & it wasn't that hard to do. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you can learn & how satisfying it is.

Comment

If you think of using a hand plane look into sharpening first.

I’d suggest getting a fine cut blade for your saw. Then use it face the glue edges and glue then do the glue up. Do the glue up on a piece of 3/4 in. Plywood covered with Saran Wrap. This should give you a relatively flat face on the bottom. Again cut your glue up into strips with two side’s good for glue up and do the same as before. After dry make use of the router sled and a belt sander. A practice run on a small board may give you ideas on the workability of this method.
                        Egon
                        from
                        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by CLS1989 View Post
                          I spent some time today tinkering with my router flattening jig since properly flattening each board before the glue up is key. I think I may have dialed in the jig. I am going go do a few more test runs with some scrap pieces, but I should be able to flatten the face of each board using this method. I can face joint with the router jig and edge joint with a table saw sled.
                          Is that is a picture of your current router sled then we have found your problem.

It isn’t rigid enough.

1 piece of 3/4 will flex enough to cause the issues you’re having.

Nathan

Comment

Here’s a picture of mine.
                            Its probably overkill but I can do a 30” wide board without flex.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

Is that is a picture of your current router sled then we have found your problem.

It isn’t rigid enough.

1 piece of 3/4 will flex enough to cause the issues you’re having.

Nathan
                              I could definitely see that as a potential cause. Problem is the router bit barely touches surface as is with 3/4 inch plywood. If I stack another piece of 3/4 inch plywood the router bit wouldn't have enough depth to touch the workpiece. The one potential fix for this is to buy a router collet extension. Or make the sled out of material that is both thin and ridgid (just not sure what material would work)

Comment

Originally posted by CLS1989 View Post

I could definitely see that as a potential cause. Problem is the router bit barely touches surface as is with 3/4 inch plywood. If I stack another piece of 3/4 inch plywood the router bit wouldn't have enough depth to touch the workpiece. The one potential fix for this is to buy a router collet extension. Or make the sled out of material that is both thin and ridgid (just not sure what material would work)
                                Add sides to stiffen it

Mine has 1/4” ply sides 4” tall

Mine is based on nick offermans - from a fine wood working article

You can buy a longer router bit from Lee valley/ busy bee

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                                X