How to make the edge of a piece of lumber straight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to make the edge of a piece of lumber straight

I think I may have finally beat my arch-nemesis, the jointer. I discovered the below method for straightening 1 edge of a piece of lumber. It works fantastically!! 1 pass and the board was totally straight with a minimal amount of waste.
    I saw this in the CWHI Essential Workshop Jigs and Techniques booklet (called a tapering jig) and I was very excited to build one, not just for tapering but for doing exactly what you've done.

It didn't work the one time I used it, for some reason the sled wouldn't stay flat against the fence as I pushed it through.

But I should figure out what the problem was and fix it. Too often I wasted long pieces of good wood on my dinky little 15cm jointer, because the table simply isn't long enough for those pieces.

Also I need better clamps, the ones I have don't adjust very much for different thicknesses and I don't want to pay 40$ a piece for better ones

I'd love to learn to use the jointer more effectively but that's expensive with 10$/bf wood I intend to use for a project
    Andrew Smith

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post

It didn't work the one time I used it, for some reason the sled wouldn't stay flat against the fence as I pushed it through.

But I should figure out what the problem was and fix it.
      The only reason I can think of for the sled not staying against the fence would be if the fence is not parallel to the blade. If the fence toes out and the workpiece tries to follow the cut line I can see that happening. A mitre slot guided sled would solve this but if the mitre slot is not parallel to the blade I think cut quality would suffer but the cut would still be straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post

The only reason I can think of for the sled not staying against the fence would be if the fence is not parallel to the blade. If the fence toes out and the workpiece tries to follow the cut line I can see that happening. A mitre slot guided sled would solve this but if the mitre slot is not parallel to the blade I think cut quality would suffer but the cut would still be straight.
        It's so obvious when someone else says it! Yeah I'm sure that was the problem. I have a different saw now too, with a nice unifence. I haven't confirmed it's completely parallel to the blade yet, but I'll definitely remember that next time I work on the tapering jig.
        Andrew Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
          Long boards are a special case. You need to get inventive. Or get back to basics.
          Those are intriguing SawHorse's.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Long boards are a special case. You need to get inventive. Or get back to basics.
            Darrell I'm probably too late to say Track saw huh? lol
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Darrell I'm probably too late to say Track saw huh? lol
              I dont have a track saw, let alone one that is 18 feet long. Probably cost more than our van, too.
              Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

I dont have a track saw, let alone one that is 18 feet long. Probably cost more than our van, too.
                I was sorta kidding Darrell but a track saw will work although you do have to move the track and a straight line laser works wonders.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

I was sorta kidding Darrell but a track saw will work although you do have to move the track and a straight line laser works wonders.
                  Funny this digital age, a "laser line works wonders" if I was to cut a straight line with a hand held power saw I would ping a chalk line and follow that then push it over the jointer, I have owned a digital level for about 20 years but for what ever reason it no longer performs the bubble in the same level still works and I guess my many chalk lines will work longer than I will.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

Funny this digital age, a "laser line works wonders" if I was to cut a straight line with a hand held power saw I would ping a chalk line and follow that then push it over the jointer, I have owned a digital level for about 20 years but for what ever reason it no longer performs the bubble in the same level still works and I guess my many chalk lines will work longer than I will.
                    I would do the chalk line too Bob. Dead simple and totally efficient. I have one in every carrier/tool box I throw in the truck I think. I still have my original which i bought in 1965 or so and 2 bottles of red and blue chalk. Enough that I'l never use it all in a lifetime.

However the lasers of today are wonderfull. The laser I mentioned for what Darrell was doing would help to determine if in fact his piece was truly flat along that 18 foot length. Just like a chalk line the laser line just needs to be straight. In Darrell's approach he could even set the laser 2 inches above the end of the board and then set the other end 2 inches below the laser line and then he could measure the same all the way along the board. Just the same procedure I used with dumpy transit levels that I used installing swimming pools or digging a basement. The concept is the same as using a long hose and water level. Today it's a one man operation that used to take two guys to perform.
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

[QUOTE=Rusty;n1223261]OK,,,,,Who wants to be first to tell me I can't cut lumber with a track saw. It ain't rocket science folks.

My main concern with a track saw is the blade itself and the strength of the saw. Anybody that owns a quality glue line rip blade on a table saw will notice that it's thicker and it's a heavier. I don't own a Festool track saw and from what I saw from saw blades that I can get for my circular saw they are great for cutting ply but not so much for cutting hard lumber. Plus you will end up with one side not being parallel to the other or you will be wasting time getting it spot on.

Comment

[QUOTE=bogmer;n1223633]
                        OK,,,,,Who wants to be first to tell me I can't cut lumber with a track saw. It ain't rocket science folks.

My main concern with a track saw is the blade itself and the strength of the saw. Anybody that owns a quality glue line rip blade on a table saw will notice that it's thicker and it's a heavier. I don't own a Festool track saw and from what I saw from saw blades that I can get for my circular saw they are great for cutting ply but not so much for cutting hard lumber. Plus you will end up with one side not being parallel to the other or you will be wasting time getting it spot on.
                        I have a cheap Skill brand 7 1/4" hand held power saw with a cheap box store ripping blade and recently cut a 2" slab of walnut about 6' long I seem to think I cramped a straight edge board to the slab and ran the skill saw base against it or I did it free hand, no problems, then over the jointer and through the thicknesser, a week later I have this.

Comment

[QUOTE=bogmer;n1223633]
                          OK,,,,,Who wants to be first to tell me I can't cut lumber with a track saw. It ain't rocket science folks.

In the picture that accompanied my quote the dark wood, 2nd pic, is Jatoba. That particular batch was harder than some steel. My Festool sang thru it. My saw and the blades are extremely good and plenty strong. The blade that is normally in the saw is as good as my glue line in my table saw. As for being parallel and getting it spot on,,,,I think maybe you should try a track saw before suggesting it's difficult. Hopefully you're not offended.

Correction it is not Jatoba in the pic. It is Walnut. Sorry my mistake. I do however remember cutting the Jatoba and how hard it was.
                          Last edited by Rusty; 02-11-2019, 03:49 PM.
                          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Here's a couple of pics for you to consider. They will show parallelism of a strip cut with a track saw and also how smooth the cut is. I used the end of the tape and also a couple using 8 inch as the starting point of the comparison. Both ends of the strip are identical. Not sure how well the smoothness will show up but it's certainly glue line ready.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1997.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1223657Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2008.JPG
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1223658Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2014.JPG
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	1223659Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2015.JPG
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	1223660Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2016.JPG
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1223661
                            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Is it something that you think you would use more than just to try it out???

I guess if our table saw is broken then using a track saw is doable. Is it your second or even your third option???

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hl.jpg
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1223783
                                nnieman and Doug G like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X