Building an Electric Guitar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building an Electric Guitar

And here's a "mockup" of what this will look like with the bridge and pickups laid in place. (before I stained the body...)

The binding, pickup covers and switch tip are all cream coloured, which really looks sweet with the sapwood strip through the body.

Click image for larger version

Name:	053x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1223179

ShoestringMariner and nnieman like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

That looks like an epic build. I love everything about it. And you have corrected the worst part of a Tele; the headstock. Your design is pretty sharp. Looking forward to seeing it done. going P90?

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
        This project is captivating! I don't recall ever seeing a guitar with spalted wood. Beautiful!
        Thanks Bob.
        I've done a couple others with spalted maple.

Name:	jcs003.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1223182Click image for larger version

Name:	K49-003.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1223183

Comment

Aside from applying some finish, the body is pretty much done.

So a few more things need to be done with the neck. The fretboard needs to have a 12" radius, so I use a sanding block with a reverse radius and some 80 grit sandpaper stuck to it. I chalk up the fretboard so I can monitor my progress, and in about 20 minutes I have it done. Then I go through the grits up to 600 to get an nice shiny surface.

Sorry for the blurry photos. It was pretty cold that day and I was shivering...

Name:	035.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1223185Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1223186Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1223187

Comment

Looking great. Do you apply some heat to the binding to make it flex easier?
            More stuff of mine at:
            http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Then on to fretting.

I used a fretwire bender to pre-bend my frets to a "slightly tighter than" 12" radius... Cut them to rough length for each position... Then press them in using my drill press (unplugged) and a caul with a matching radius. I apply a bit of yellow glue in the slots first. When all the frets are pressed in I use some more radiused blocks to clamp everything in place until the glue dries. This helps ensure are the frets are as level with each other as possible.

Name:	067-n.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1223190Click image for larger version

Name:	067-z.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1223191Click image for larger version

Name:	069.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1223192Click image for larger version

Name:	070.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1223193Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1223194

Comment

Originally posted by Jim DaddyO View Post
                Looking great. Do you apply some heat to the binding to make it flex easier?
                On this body style I only warm it up a bit in the really tight corner where I start. The rest of it will bend enough without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoestringMariner View Post
                  That looks like an epic build. I love everything about it. And you have corrected the worst part of a Tele; the headstock. Your design is pretty sharp. Looking forward to seeing it done. going P90?
                  Thanks.
                  I actually like the normal Tele headstock. ;)
                  and yes,,, P90's. They are my overall favorite pickup.

Comment

Are the wiring channels already cut? If not, I'm very curious how their done.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
                      Are the wiring channels already cut? If not, I'm very curious how their done.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
                      I've already done it on this guitar and didn't take any pics, but here are a couple shots from a previous project. All you need is a long drill bit and good aim and go in through the neck pocket, where it won't be seen.

Since I added a "cap" on the body of the current one, I could have also routed the channels for the wiring before I glued the cap on.

Name:	anders089.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1223247Click image for larger version

Name:	anders090.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1223248

Comment

Originally posted by UpperCanadaGuitars View Post

Thanks.
                        I actually like the normal Tele headstock. ;)
                        and yes,,, P90's. They are my overall favorite pickup.
                        Well you have great taste otherwise...j/k, to each their own. The headstock debate is right up there with thebody construction debates, isn’t it?
                        I’m a P90 fan too. The binding looks great also. Again, epic build...keep the pics coming

Comment

My next step is to level and dress the frets. Unfortunately I do not have many photos of this step.
                          First I trim and bevel the fret ends and then file off any sharp burrs left behind.
                          Then I adjust the truss rod until the fretboard is perfectly flat. I check this with a notched straightedge and a feeler gauge.
                          After that I check that the frets are level with a regular straightedge and feeler gauge. I check in the middle and along each edge.
                          If I find any high spots I mark them with a sharpie. I file those spots down and double check each one individually with a "fret rocker" across the high fret and the ones on either side. I did such a good job fretting this neck I only had a couple spots to deal with.
                          Once all the frets are perfectly level I polish them with micro mesh right up to about 15000 grit.

Name:	082.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1223847Click image for larger version

Name:	081.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1223848Click image for larger version

Name:	080.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1223849

Comment

I didn't know a Tele could look so good! Thanks for the thread, I really want to hobby build some guitars myself and quite enjoy reading other people's builds.

I also checked out your website, wicked. Only problem I see so far with the guitars you make is none are an Iceman!

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Beaverfever1988 View Post
                              I didn't know a Tele could look so good! Thanks for the thread, I really want to hobby build some guitars myself and quite enjoy reading other people's builds.

I also checked out your website, wicked. Only problem I see so far with the guitars you make is none are an Iceman!

​​​
                              And none ever will be...

Comment

John,

This thread of yours is very inspirational to those considering making an instrument, so thanks ever so much for taking the time to document and share it with all of us!

Would you have a recommendation for a guitar kit? That may be the easiest way to get into guitar making...

Again, great thread!
                                All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Working...
                                X