Make room in your shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make room in your shop

The centrepiece of most hobby type shops is the table saw and it takes up a lot of space with in-feed and out-feed tables and additional side wings and router table inserts added etc.

Have you guys/gals ever considered that a track saw would or could replace the table saw?

I'm wondering what a table saw could do that a track saw couldn't do and all I can come up with is perhaps the use of molding heads which I personally would never do anyway.

No I'm not selling my Unisaw.
    "Do it Right!"
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Make room in your shop

If you are only cutting sheet goods you can probably replace the table saw with a track saw. However if you use your table saw to cut dados, tenons, or almost anything with lumber, I'm not sure that a track saw would work.

Comment

Since I make solid wood furniture mostly, I could get rid of my saw, except for the fact that the shaper is in it....Rod

Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I'm a hobby user, my skills have come from what I was taught in highschool, and have tried adding to that here & there over the years.

My TS is my main tool, because it is what I feel comfortable using... for what I use it for. I have many tools that serve specific purposes that don't get used 1/2 as often as the TS (some even less).

If I had training, experience, etc to utilize other tools to do what I do on the TS, sure I could replace it. But I don't, and I'm content & comfortable/confident with my setup (unless a sliding/combo saw falls into my lap).

So until such time, the saw will stay.
        [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
          Since I make solid wood furniture mostly, I could get rid of my saw, except for the fact that the shaper is in it....Rod
          well, I have a stand alone shaper, you have a combo saw... let's make a deal!!

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
            If you are only cutting sheet goods you can probably replace the table saw with a track saw. However if you use your table saw to cut dados, tenons, or almost anything with lumber, I'm not sure that a track saw would work.
            Not true Rory. I've done everything you mention with my Festool track saw. I can easily cut 1/2 an inch off a long strip of hardwood flooring or slice up rails and stiles for cabinets from hard Maple lumber. All I do is lay a bunch of boards side by side on top of a piece of styrofoam and cut away. My Track sticks like glue to hardwood strips without clamping too. Dead easy. Try it.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
              I'm a hobby user, my skills have come from what I was taught in highschool, and have tried adding to that here & there over the years.

My TS is my main tool, because it is what I feel comfortable using... for what I use it for. I have many tools that serve specific purposes that don't get used 1/2 as often as the TS (some even less).

If I had training, experience, etc to utilize other tools to do what I do on the TS, sure I could replace it. But I don't, and I'm content & comfortable/confident with my setup (unless a sliding/combo saw falls into my lap).

So until such time, the saw will stay.
              Tom, I'm not asking anyone to get rid of anything. I'm just saying you could. I'm not getting rid of my saw either. Tell me something you couldn't do with a track saw that you do with your TS.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Not true Rory. I've done everything you mention with my Festool track saw. I can easily cut 1/2 an inch off a long strip of hardwood flooring or slice up rails and stiles for cabinets from hard Maple lumber. All I do is lay a bunch of boards side by side on top of a piece of styrofoam and cut away. My Track sticks like glue to hardwood strips without clamping too. Dead easy. Try it.
                I had no idea, but since I do not have a track saw I will have to take your informed word for it.

Comment

Good question. I would love to have a track saw and if I did a lot of sheet goods I would probably get one. Lot's of what I do involves smaller pieces which I cut on the table saw with a sled. I think they would be more awkward to do with a track saw especially mitre cuts. Can't picture how you would make repetitive mitre cuts on 3" or 4" pieces to make a small box with a track saw. On the other hand I can't really handle full size sheets of plywood on my little table saw so I usually have them cut at the store or resort to a straight edge and circular saw. I think to replace the table saw with a track saw you would need something like a MFT which would take up close to the same space as the saw but you would save on the infeed/outfeed space. I'm not giving up on my little Rockwell Beaver, heck I still have my Craftsman radial arm saw.

Comment

Tom, I'm not asking anyone to get rid of anything. I'm just saying you could. I'm not getting rid of my saw either. Tell me something you couldn't do with a track saw that you do with your TS.
                    you're asking about personal skills/experience/knowledge.

I honestly don't know what a track saw is fully capable of.
                    For now I am comfortable using my TS for what I do, and my track saw for what I use it for.

I appreciate a track saw has many uses, beyond my skill set, same with 75% of the tools in my shop.
                    tool fan likes this.

Comment

Need more room in the shop??

A couple of these and several planks and you have a movable unit that can handle sheet goods as well as just regular wood. It will also adapt for hand planing wood and doing chisel work. Makes a good assembly table also. Best of all it will be quite inexpensive to build.
                      https://goo.gl/images/DXfv6C
                      Egon
                      from
                      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I just finished ripping 16 2X4 in half can you do that with a track saw? I don't have a track saw so I don't know.
                        smallerstick likes this.
                        Jerome
                        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Dados and joinery would be the main things.
                          I cut tenons on the table saw as well as most of my crosscutting with a sled and mitre gauge.

However I think one could set up a shop with a well set up bandsaw for ripping & joinery.
                          A tracksaw could handle all sheet goods- no table saw needed.

Not me, I have three lol

Nathan

Comment

I generally only use my table saw for manageable pieces (in the shop). If I have any sheet goods to cut I drag my table saw out to the yard for that. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                              I just finished ripping 16 2X4 in half can you do that with a track saw? I don't have a track saw so I don't know.
                              Yes but it’s quicker & easier with a table saw.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                              X