Tree Shelf Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree Shelf Build

My wife found a shelf online that she liked and wanted for our daughters room. This was approximately a year ago. We decided that we wanted it white so MDF was the choice of material. Thanks to Brian at Muir who helped hook me up with a better quality MDF. I had several other projects on the go so this sat until just before Christmas.

I started by printing the picture and figuring out rough dimensions for each branch. From there I took 1 sheet of 3/4” MDF and ripped 2 7” strips and then ripped the rest into 8” strips. It was the time to cut the individual pieces to length. I believe there were about 65 pieces in total. Next up was to lay it all out on the floor to make sure I was on the right track. From there I glued the double and triple thicknesses for the trunk and main stem. Once this was done next up was to start figuring out angles. At first I was cutting random angles to make the angle i wanted but after trying to join my first few pieces i realized that there was a much simpler way. I pulled out the protractor and started measuring the overall angle and dividing that’s by 2 and cutting each piece until all were cut. Every piece was marked with the angles and numbers for when I did the joinery and to make it easier to get them back in the correct spot.

The joinery was was next and I resorted to my domino for that. I started out on the trunk and main stem using 4 8mm dominos per joint but after the first 2 joints I switched to 3 5mm dominos per joint. With the 8mm I had a lot of trouble getting things tight once the glue was applied. It is impossible to clamp this easily so all joints had glue applied then I joined by hand and set it aside to dry. There wasn’t one joint I used pocket screws on because I got ahead of myself and couldn’t use the domino for that joint. I ended up gluing the main trunk / stem in 3 pcs and all main branches so it was easier to handle for sanding and painting. Once all we’re glued I used drywall compound to fill any gaps in the joints. Eyeballing my miter saw for angles and then my domino fence for the same angles was not exact and the slightest bit off resulted in some minor gaps. Once the gaps were filled I sprayed all pieces with 3 coats of paint. I then finished the assembly, filled those gaps, and touched up all the joints with paint.

Next up we muscled it up to the bedroom, applied the figure 8 fasteners to the shelf, marked the wall, drilled and put anchors in then screwed it to the wall. I’m very pleased with the results. We had some special stuffed animals and other items my daughter has received and we put them on the shelf. Once we had this done she decided that all her stuffed animals needed to go on the shelf. Then we had to cover each one with a blanket to keep them warm. The receptacle in the bottom crotch was just pure luck.
    Last edited by jaywood1207; 02-09-2019, 10:49 PM.
    PeterTZ, eblack and 4 others like this.
    Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tree Shelf Build

Wow that was a pile of work, but it looks amazing!!

Comment

What an interesting project.
      Thanks.

Noel
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "
      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Unique!
        Well done.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

That looks excellent Jamie.
          Darrin

Timber Elegance
          My Etsy Store

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Comment

Thanks for showing this project Jamie. You did a great job and it looks like your daughter really enjoys it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a super project! I love the layout photos and explanation as well - thank you!

But .... the best part ... is this .... ya' just can't help but smile ... well done Dad!

Comment

Great project there Jamie, and like John said it's got the best seal of approval you could wish for.
                  Reminds me of the days i built Beanie Baby houses for my daughter. She still has them lol.
                  Well done
                  Paul

Comment

Beyond fantastic Jamie. When I see dads doing things like this it warms my heart. She's one lucky little girl. I know you'll take good care of her. Thumbs UP!!
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Great job I see that as something your daughter will treasure for a lifetime.

Comment

Very cool, Jamie!
                        All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Very nice looking result!

Reminds me of the toilet paper tree I want to build for a bathroom when (haha) I have some spare time
                          Andrew Smith

Comment

Thank you so much everyone.

For or those of us that remember:
                            1 sheet of 3/4” MDF $65
                            Dominos, screws, and figure 8 fasteners $40
                            paint $30
                            Olivia “helping” carry it up the stairs and also screwing to the wall and decorating with all her excitement and smiles. Priceless. 😀

Comment

Projects paid with cash are fine, projects paid with smiles and hugs are the best nicely done Jamie.

Comment

Working...
                              X