Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Price of a 2x4...

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    What do you pay for a spruce 2x4? Your guy might be selling old stock which was not as valuable in the first place. It is a commodity and pricing is controlled unless used by a lumber yard as a lost leader for example.
    I pick it up at a saw mill. It's a busy place I doubt it's old stock. As for a spruce 2x4 I haven't bought one in years so I couldn't tell you.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Bought a lift of 220 pcs 8' and 10' mixed rough cut (full 2" x 4") green for $1.45 tax inc each back in Dec. They are stacked and drying in the shop now.
      Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
        Ok, back from BORG. I decided to grab 22 2x4. I went through the pile and kept track of how many I rejected to get a decent pile: 13.
        2x lumber shouldn't be stored inside where its so dry. Large fans blowing on the lumber in winter makes it curl up soon after bringing it in and putting it on the top shelf. You could see the top 2x4 layers straining against the banding. I worked in the lumber run for a couple of years after retirement. Seen a lot of lumber culled because management wanted indoor shopping.
        Rusty likes this.
        sigpic
        hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

In 1998 I redid my whole basement and gyproc was $2.67 a sheet... I almost fell over seeing a store charging over $15 a sheet! ... I sure know that salaries haven't gone up 5X in 20 years!

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post

I pick it up at a saw mill. It's a busy place I doubt it's old stock. As for a spruce 2x4 I haven't bought one in years so I couldn't tell you.
            Maybe you're paying $8.00 for 2x4 spruce
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

This is their website.

https://scieriemsg.com/en/

They specialize in white cedar but they also have what ever you want that is cut in the area. Ash, Maple, Poplar, Pine and I think Red Oak but I didn't buy any from them.

In you live in the National Capital area they do deliver. I am sure they will deliver just about anywhere for a price.

Comment

Bog,,,,,how do you think their site is going to be of any value to me. I just don't know how you're surprised at what a spruce 2x4 costs without knowing at least what your price is for the SAME product. That's a tough comparison Partner!
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

I don't buy spruce. I don't build with it so I don't have any. I have some Northern Pine, Red Pine, Red Oak, Maple, Cherry, Ash and about 2000 feet of White Cedar.

Comment

Bog that must be quite the production you have
                    I don't buy spruce. I don't build with it so I don't have any. I have some Northern Pine, Red Pine, Red Oak, Maple, Cherry, Ash and about 2000 feet of White Cedar.
                    , thanks for the website info I will check them out.

Vince

Comment

Right now they are cutting lumber in the woods. Winter is the best time to do that. The ground being frozen helps you get to places that you wouldn't normally be able to get too. Especially in a year as cold as we had this year. I will get my first orders in probably in March so I can get started on the spring season.

Comment

Poplar logs milled at home have been used for shelving by myself. Cost = ?? Not cheap. But much satisfaction!
                        Egon
                        from
                        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Bogmer what do you build with the wood you buy?
                          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Right now I have two kitchens to make cabinets. So that's going to take some maple and red oak. The last bathroom I had used popular. I've built steamer chests, dressers, wardrobes, blanket chests... ext..

The White cedar I will use soon when to build gardens, Garden gliders, benches, picnick tables, arbours ext... Spring season stuff that I will be able to sell pretty quickly. Then if I have some to spare I will be building a sauna for my brother just because I think it will be a cool little project to do with him and it's something that I think a full Cedar construction might be the best way to go... Maybe build something for a local charity because that feels good.

I also build the odd gates for people that want something that looks nice. And you know basically if they have a picture of it and I think I can build it then I will.

Comment

Here's a few pictures of things I have built over the years... I would like to know how that Checkers board ended up looking like after a few years to be honest. I had some real issues building chess boards in the past.
                              Rusty, Wally in Calgary and VincentC like this.

Comment

Nice projects. They Look great. Love the swing.
                                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                                X