Where to cope...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to cope...

Hopefully the pic shows my question reasonably well.

I've got crown to add at the top of cabinets and I'm wondering where the pros would cope.

I could cope the two small corner pieces, or both ends of the piece in the middle.

Which makes more sense, and why?

-Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Where to cope...

Short pieces running into the long piece make it more difficult to see any error. If it's paint grade ??? Probably wouldn't really matter.
    Last edited by Rusty; 02-11-2019, 08:20 PM.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

I determine which ones to cope depending on your view as you enter the room and where you normally stand. Example. If I was standing at the bottom of your page and my view was looking into the room. On the top short piece I would just miter the short piece and run it into the corner and cope the long piece. When looking into the corner you are seeing a white back drop which tricks the eye to the miter.

This scenario does not always work and it is surprising how often it does. If you need to cope small pieces cope first and then make the cut with the miter saw.

Brian
      Wally in Calgary likes this.
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I’m right-handed, and I usually cope a little cleaner overhanded (though it depends on the trim), so I’d probably run the first short piece (starting from bottom of page) into the corner, cope the right side of the long piece and run the left side into the corner, then cope the right side of the second short piece.
        Tim

Comment

As Brian Says it depends on the way you are looking at it, you want to see across the joint, not along it
          Jerome
          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
          Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

The drawings have me confused. Can’t formulate a proper image from them. ( impossible drawing )
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Egon, I was afraid the drawings wouldn't portray the scenario over well. I should've described better, as well.

This is in my kitchen where, in front of the sink is a window, and to either side of the window are 2 upper cabinets. Above the cabinets is a bulk-head which I'm, effectively, wrapping with walnut and crown. Between the cabinets, I recess the depth a bit, simply to create some detail.

So, looking from above, the line accepting the crown (bolded below) looks like:

Wall Window
              -------------|-------------------|--------------
              |..............................................|
              |..............................................|
              | Cabinet 1 |-------------------| Cabinet 2 ...|
              ------------- ................. ---------------

This wont be painted, but I don't think that changes any of the answers above.

Apologies on the graph... the forum consumes multiple adjacent spaces, so I had to embed periods to get it to display properly... hopefully it's a bit more clear :S
              Last edited by carbonBased; 02-12-2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I always look at it as if it were baseboard. If I walk into the room the back wall would be one long piece and the two side walls would be coped and run into the long piece. I don't necessarily do that anymore because I use the Coper for baseboard and the fit is beyond perfect.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

I missed the fact that it was crown , not baseboard. I would still use the sight line to determine where to cope for the reasons I stated in first post.
                  Rusty.. will your coper work on crown where the back cut has to be a much greater angle than baseboard?

Brian

Comment

Not without some modification to do the backcut Brian. I've never spent much time trying it to be honest. Maybe I'll try it.
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Brian and Rusty, you're both taking into account the viewers perspective, but doing opposite operations, no?

Rusty, you're coping the small pieces to mate up to the butt-jointed rear piece.
                      And Brian, you're coping the rear piece to fit between the two small pieces.

Did I interpret correctly?

I guess, ultimately, the kitchen has competing line of sights, so the decision may ultimately be moot... the kitchen is open to the living room, where you'd largely be viewing the cabinets from the side. However, when in the kitchen, you'd be directly in front/under the trim, and viewing it straight on.

Comment

No I think Brian and I are differing slightly. I'm coping both and he's only coping the right end of the long piece and mitering the left ends of both the long and the short pieces.

I'm also thinking he might match me depending where the predominant sight line is.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

It is really hard to tell anything from the drawings. My first post I had not realized it was crown and comments were based on base boards. Crown is different in that hard to tell where the sight lines would be. Installing crown is not my favourite task but usually top most kitchens with it.
                          Brian

Comment

How about this way -- no coping at all --

Click image for larger version

Name:	44.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1223989

Click image for larger version

Name:	72.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB