X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VincentC
    started a topic TV Stand Finish

TV Stand Finish

So, I completed this TV Stand a couple of months ago (made from ash) and rather than softening the edges I left them square, my issue is that areas of the square edges are not holding the color, it is an aniline dye (walnut) after which I finished with a couple coats of polyurethane and a final coating of wax.
    I'm not sure if this is a result of using ash or leaving the edges square, any thoughts.
    Depending on the answers will determine if its going to be refinished.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Stand.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	1224287

Thanks all
    Vince

• VincentC
    replied
    Thanks for all the input, I'll soften the edge slightly and proceed from there.
    As for the color , I like the tones I achieved and more importantly my wife likes it, so she wins.

Vince

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    Yes, it doesn't take much of an easing to make the edge much more robust and take a finish better. You don't have to go to the point where it looks like a round over. 3/32" will provide a good corner, but you don't need to round it that much if you're after a crisp look.

Not trying to gang up on you, but more of a general statement: staining very rarely looks anywhere near as good as wood that is naturally the desired color. Soft woods never look good with a stain. Ever. Any hardwood that tends to blotch almost always looks horrible with a stain, even if the blotching is well controlled. Subtly altering the color with a little dye, shellac. or oil is all the coloring that should be done to wood.

Of course this is just my very humble opinion and there are, as always, exceptions to the rule

Leave a comment:

• Fetcham
    replied
    Such a shame you chose to stain it. Natural ash is beautiful. Personally, I think the the crisp look suits it very well, but really sharp edges can be a problem as someone else mentioned. As a starting point I would just ease the edges with 240 grit abrasive and see if that helps. It is all I ever do on modern piecesand I have no problem with finish adhering. You can always do more rounding but you can't go back.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Woodwreck
    replied
    Yes, soften the edges with a 3/32" roundover.

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    That's a nice looking stand

I suspect the issue is the sharp corners. Liquids just don't like to stay on a sharp edge. And what little does can be so easily rubbed away. Besides that, those sharp edges are very easily damaged & can be a safety hazard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X