• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stgpascal
    started a topic align grooves/dado on router table

align grooves/dado on router table

Hello

I have been reading about router table adjustememt but could not find a clear answer.

I have to align some grooves/dado on different sized pieces. I would normaly use a centering pin and a knife mark on the groove center wich is quite simple but for this one I must align them by using the groove edges.

My plan is to cut a dadoo in scrap using a miter gauge. this scrap is clamped to the miter gauge so its not moving. I will then align my worpiece where I want my groove using the edges of the dado on the scrap. last I will move my fence up to the workpiece to get a repetable result.

now I dont know if that makes sense or there is a better way to do it but using pencil marks and aligning by eyes is just too imprecise. I need a way to do it with the same precision I would get from a marking knife line and a centering pin.

Has anyone done something similar?

thanks

• Fetcham
    replied
    I just use the fence and simple arithmetic for this sort of thing. Accurate measurement is the key for which I use a digital caliper and a digital setting tool for depth of cut and fence setting taking account of the cutter diameter. It works well although I always do a test cut with a piece of scrap before committing to the real thing.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• bogmer
    replied
    I would love a pic. Nothing bad in learning new ways of doing things.

Leave a comment:

• stgpascal
    replied
    nks everyone for your answers. I know the fence doesn't need to be square I just needed something to stabilize the scrap wood that will locate edge of the cutter.

I tested the method and it has given me better resultz than fiddling with a ruler.this piece of scrap act as a sort of zero clearance insert to help me locate both edge of the cutter without measuring( I hate measuring :( )

I can then align one of the edges to my marks on the workpiece than puah the fence up to the workpiece. using a r4 ruler this has given me a +- 1/64 precision.
    if anyone is interested I can provide some pic to detail my method

Leave a comment:

• bogmer
    replied
    I use a fence and a rule to set up for a dado on a Router table. If you don't have a fence then use straight 2x4 clamp that down on to the router table and use that as a guide. The fence doesn't need to be square to anything as long as it's straight and you want to make test cuts on a piece of scrap. Even dimensional lumber that you took out the round over edge. So you can measure where you want it because getting it dead on the first shot is rare.

If you are doing repetitive groves at every 1/4 inch or what ever then you go with your farthest first then on a full sized fence I use double sided tape and glue a piece of plywood the size that I need for the grove. Then stick an other piece of ply on that ply to make the third and so on.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Throw the miter guage away you don't need it and it's a hindrance. For example if you are cutting a 1 inch groove or dado in a piece just figure out how far the first side of your dado is from the edge of your piece. If it's 2 inches set your fence 2 inches from the cutting edge of your router bit and cut away following your fence. The size of the dado doesn't matter. What's important is where the edge of the dado is.

Leave a comment:

• altiplano
    replied
    Unless your fence is set exactly parallel the mitre slot you will get a variance depending on how far away you align your piece/fence to the first cut/cutter.

I don't know your exact situation... but I make cuts like this and just seem to figure it out somehow...

Leave a comment:

• stgpascal
    replied
    Thanks for your answer but eyeballing it just wont cut it unless i plan on aligning it by trial an error. I need the edge of my grooves to be aligned within a few tho

Leave a comment:

• bkrits
    replied
    just eye ball it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X