Dovetail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dovetail

Hello new member, looking for suggestions on my half blind dovetails​​​​​. New porter cable 4212 dovetail jig using Bosch evs 1617 with 1/4 bit. Being new to making drawers, I have followed instructions but I am not sure why my tails are too wide. I have
    A/ set the jig at 3/8 as the porter cable jig
    B/ followed all instructions
    C/ lined up both vertical and horizontal boards on jig correctly from what I can tell
    any thoughts thank you,
    i have attached pictures of my failure
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dovetail

if you're using 1/4" bit when setup for for 3/8" would you be taking too little away, leaving too much tail?
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

Are you using the correct guide bushing on your router?

Comment

Are you cutting tails and pins at the same time? Most jigs you put both pieces of wood in at once. How many templates did you jig come with?

Comment

Originally posted by Mauroc View Post
          This is my guess too. I can't say for sure because of the picture they look a bit askew too.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mauroc View Post
            It only works with one size bushing, Tom.
            Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

This darn thing ate my answer - I will try agin.

Your tails are not too wide - they are offset slightly too much, witness the progressive increase across the width of the board.

SEE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rx6UdriQ9w

The precise width of the tails is determined by the depth of the bit cut, e.g. too tight or too loose, as also demonstrated in this video, but get to that after you fix the alignment.

Above all do not view this as your failiure. What you are doing is typical in getting started. Sorry I no longer have my P-C DT jig or I would go out and set it up to better explain. I wish I could tell you how many trial cuts I made.

Practice several cuts, don't worry about face side/outside at the moment just get the fit.

I want to here back how you are doing.
              beachburl likes this.

Comment

As said above, there is no such thing as failure in woodworking; just opportunities for testing another approach next time around😎.

I have the same dovetail jig and can assure you that good results require fine tuning. While it is difficult to see the alignment on the photo, I suspect that the front to back position of the jig requires some adjusting.

My experience has been that having extra material on hand is a must for creeping on perfect results. Once you get the results you want make an extra pair of pieces that can be used for the setup, next time you work with material of the same thickness.

Keep playing with the jig and most of all make sure you enjoy your time in the shop.
                KenL, woodguy7 and beachburl like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Winnipeg View Post
                  Hello new member, looking for suggestions on my half blind dovetails​​​​​. New porter cable 4212 dovetail jig using Bosch evs 1617 with 1/4 bit. Being new to making drawers, I have followed instructions but I am not sure why my tails are too wide. I have
                  A/ set the jig at 3/8 as the porter cable jig
                  B/ followed all instructions
                  C/ lined up both vertical and horizontal boards on jig correctly from what I can tell
                  any thoughts thank you,
                  i have attached pictures of my failure
                  Do you have the proper sized bit in the router?? Did you use the one that came with the kit ?? You don't show us the fit or anything else. Did you try putting them together??

Comment

Thank you all for the responses; lots of great feed back. Unfortunately I won’t be back till tonight to try but to provide a little more feedback.
                    A/ collet and template should be correct as they are Bosch separate purchase, as well( I am not using the correct terms) they have to fit on the, porter cable jig, which they do. Otherwise router would not move correctly.
                    B/ proper size bit on router... good question I was under the impression if you used a 1/4 bit then both pieces would be the same depth/diameter as if I used a 1/2 inch bit. No bit came with unit unfortunately...
                    bosch router and porter cable jig... I had to purchase the correct template to attach to marry Bosch to porter cable... I have watched all videos and everyone else works great... not mine they boards WONT go together at all way off, tails are too wide
                    C/ I am not sure what else you would adjust on the jig... it is something simple I am doing wrong, I just can’t figure it out
                    D/ please share what your adjustments are. Specific ally please.

have the same dovetail jig and can assure you that good results require fine tuning. While it is difficult to see the alignment on the photo, I suspect that the front to back position of the jig requires adjusting.

E/ woodwrecker this is what I am struggling with..tails

This darn thing ate my answer - I will try agin.

Your tails are not too wide - they are offset slightly too much, witness the progressive increase across the width of the board.

SEE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rx6UdriQ9w

The precise width of the tails is determined by the depth of the bit cut, e.g. too tight or too loose, as also demonstrated in this video, but get to that after you fix the alignment.

i set the router bit to align with the porter cable small stop as per instructions. I simply set router on top of jig and use micro adjuster on router to move bit up and down until it reaches porter cable stop...
                    NO LUCK same problem tails are too wide
                    I have re adjusted router bit less re tried
                    NO LUCK
                    i have adjusted router bit more/deeper than porter cable stop
                    NO LUCk.. what is consistent with every 12 cuts
                    tails are too wide.

F/ wood bob.. thx for your thoughts
                    yes cutting them same time as per picture and the nature of the porter cable jig design, they look great (for a newbie) mirrored to each other perfectly, tails and pins line up... the tails are physically too wide so two pieces cannot join together...

thank yoy you for your efforts and trouble shooting everyone... keep them coming as I am missing something.. I will re attempt tonight

Comment

I have a lee valley economy dovetail jig, and if I remember correctly deepening the depth of cut tightens the joint and making a shallower cut loosens the joint.

Comment

Is Your bit centered in the router base plate and is your guide also centered in the router? If the bit is not centered etc. it takes more off one side than the other side and if you happen to spin the router you will get different results from cut to cut. What degree cutter are you using and could that make a difference on your setup?

I know on the 1617 the quick connect bushing ring must be centered for precise cutting. I don't have the PC unit but my buddy works with me on my jobs and he has one. He hasn't used it for a year cause he said he's having trouble setting it up. I know it was running perfect until he started changing bits and routers. I may try to get it off him to mess with.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

OP - At risk of repetition, please reset the depth of cut to the mark on the side of the jig provided by P-C AND LEAVE IT ALONE FOR NOW. Slight inc/decrease of depth of cut will be taken care in fine tuning AFTER the offset is corrected. Don't change them now as that will only add to your frustration, they are irrelevant at this point.

I followed the instructions as you have, and had a moderately decent fit on first try, and went on to fine tune it. Please check the video link provided and watch how the author sets it.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly Steve. I have several 1617's and I think I know their idiosyncrasies pretty well. If your bit and guides aren't set dead centre to your router base then the cutter can be closer to one side of the guide bushing than the other and that will throw you off for sure. I hope I've got that explanation straight. LOL
                            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Try searching for this video; Bosch Router Quick Change Bushing Guide & Porter Cable Compatible Ep 2018-12

It will show how to centre the setup.
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                              X