Zebrawood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zebrawood

For anyone that thinks zebrawood can't be worked with hand tools...

This is a lot of planing to get to this .

1 1/4 thick
    84 long
    40 wide

Just waiting on some epoxy to cure to fill some gouges and then on to finish .

Some layers of wipe on clear satin poly.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LaPedrera; 04-13-2019, 04:04 PM.
    JimPTBO, Beaverfever1988 and 3 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Zebrawood

It looks very nice! Zebra wood is difficult to work but the results are generally spectacular.

IMO anyway.

Ken

Comment

Very sharp tools and patience.

Comment

Very nice. You are probably a bit stronger now than you were before you started that.

Comment

Originally posted by dwoody View Post
          Very nice. You are probably a bit stronger now than you were before you started that.
          I had to build up my strength so I can lift it after it's finished.
          KenL likes this.

Comment

Is it just the hardness that makes it difficult to work, or is there an element of the grain as well?
            Looks to be quarter sawn, so I'm guessing the latter isn't the case, but I'm curious. I've always wanted to build something with it.

-Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
              Is it just the hardness that makes it difficult to work, or is there an element of the grain as well?
              Looks to be quarter sawn, so I'm guessing the latter isn't the case, but I'm curious. I've always wanted to build something with it.

-Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
              It's both - the grain is alternating (both in direction AND hardness).

Wonderful to work with as far as I am concerned and I frankly don't really understand everyone's difficulty with it. (tear out when planing being the biggest one, smell another, but that's just an annoyance more than anything)

I'd suggest picking up a scrap (20$/bf is pricey for a "scrap" ) and trying it out. You working with manual tools?

Done quite a few projects and the one recommendation I would give anybody is well honed tools.
              Last edited by LaPedrera; 04-14-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Very nice work

I love the way Zebrawood looks

Still remember when we used to pay around $3.00 per board foot for 4/4 quartered Zebra.......& I don't think that this was sooo long ago

Comment

Originally posted by LaPedrera View Post

Done quite a few projects and the one recommendation I would give anybody is well honed tools.
                  Curious, did you use a higher bevel angle or a back bevel on your plane irons?

Never hand worked zebrawood but had success with a 37° bevel planning some knarly quartersawn red elm. Quite similar interlocking grain and smell. You are so correct about the absolute importance for well honed irons.

Very nice work by the way. Good to see a hand worked project with such a cantankerous wood.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Andre in Quebec View Post
                    Very nice work

I love the way Zebrawood looks

Still remember when we used to pay around $3.00 per board foot for 4/4 quartered Zebra.......& I don't think that this was sooo long ago
                    Heck, if it's still around 3.00$/bf I'd consider moving to quebec..

Comment

Originally posted by JimPTBO View Post

Curious, did you use a higher bevel angle or a back bevel on your plane irons?

Never hand worked zebrawood but had success with a 37° bevel planning some knarly quartersawn red elm. Quite similar interlocking grain and smell. You are so correct about the absolute importance for well honed irons.

Very nice work by the way. Good to see a hand worked project with such a cantankerous wood.

Jim
                      Nothing higher than a york and ever so slightly backed off chip breakers.

Proper sharpening and ensuring you fettle the planes well is the best thing. Curious to give some red elm, see how much different working it would be.

Got some finish on it and will be posting the pics soon for thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPedrera View Post

Heck, if it's still around 3.00$/bf I'd consider moving to quebec..

Yep , those were the prices back in the day , not only in Montreal but at A&M Woods and at Unicorn Universal Woods in To. as well.Good old days back in the late 70's & 80's

Comment

I would have thought that wood would have been overwhelming in a project that size, and I am surprized it isn't.
                          Nice job.

Noel
                          "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                          "
                          John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts on legs for this?

Have been thinking of the following..

Manufacture a steel "T" with the vertical part being 2x2(inch) welded to a 2x5(foot) flat plate for the horizontal part that will be inset into the bottom of the table (allowing for wood movement with slotted holes) and then having the bottom of the post be mounted under the floor with brackets for the studs and then the post coming through - so the table is really just a "T" shape.

Really like that aesthetic but just looking to bounce other ideas around.

Table is currently bottom side up so I can finish the bottom and then flip to finalize the finish on the top.

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                              I would have thought that wood would have been overwhelming in a project that size, and I am surprized it isn't.
                              Nice job.

Noel
                              I was at a house that had double front doors that were zebra wood and they were beautiful. I'm sure it must be a bit of a chore keeping them so nice looking though.

Comment

Working...
                              X