When to remove the wire edge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to remove the wire edge

Reading the numerous posts and seeing the videos on tool sharpening, I am uncertain about a (possibly trivial) detail. As you hone a bevel on a progressive series of finer grits do you clean the wire edge at each stage or just at the finest grit or strop? Assuming the back of the tool is flat is there a likelihood that removing a wire edge on coarser grits will turn the cutting edge? Would appreciate comments. Fred
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: When to remove the wire edge

I usually remove the burr when I move to 4000, then to 8000. So if I've touched up on 1000, before I start the bevel on 4000, I'll take a single drag of the back on the 4000. Then when done on the 4000, before starting the bevel on 8000, I'll take a single drag of the back on the 8000. But I'm not super rigid about it.

Comment

I will normally remove the burr when I'm done sharpening at each grit level (i.e. sharpen with 1000 flip it over take off the burr, sharpen with 4000 flip it over and remove the burr and so on), I'm not sure that it makes a difference but that's how I've always done it.

Vince

Comment

I take the burr off after each of the finer grits (1000 and up) but I remove the burr on the finest stone that I intend to use; in my case generally an 8000x Norton stone. Why do I do that one might ask? The reason I started de-burring that way was to keep from scratching the highly polished face of the iron or chisel (especially so after I stopped the practice of honing in micro-bevels).

That said, the ways that VincentC and KayakJim advocated above will ultimately yield just as sharp an edge as what I do so pick your poison. Just be consistent in your approach to sharpening and you will get repeatable results.

My 2 cents on the subject

Ken

Comment

I do it like Ken. You don’t really have to remove the burr, other than doing both sides if the blade in the final stone. Sharpening the bevel side (only) on each successive stone will remove the burr left from the previous stone. When you get to your final stone the burr is pretty small, so it only takes a few quick swipes to remove any Burr that might be left. Ken also raises the point of scratching the back with a courser stone when it’s already polished and flat, which can lead to more work to get the final polish back. To finish repeating what Ken said, I also think that what the others propose is fine; I actually do what Jim does until I get the blade tuned exactly the way I want it, which can take many sharpenings (then I leave the back alone).
          Frank
          SPCHT

Comment

I take the but off before switching to the finer grit...........Rod.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks for the responses. Ken, your concern about scratching the back with coarser grits is a good point and I will follow your regime and de-burr on the finer grits. Sorry for the long delay and thanks again to all.

Comment

Working...
              X