End Table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Table

My wife wanted something that sits close to the arm of the couch, and originally we thought of a C-Table but neither of us were sure it was the right choice. They overhang the arm and then you have nowhere to rest YOUR arm. Then we decided pedestal table of some sort, and settled on this.
    Cherry with Minwax satin Polyurethane. The proportions look off on the pics. The top and bottom are the same size.It should darken nicely over time. I plan on leaving it out in the sun for several days to completely off-gas and that should darken it a lot. There are rubber feet on the bottom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0813.JPG Views:	1 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	1233575Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0812.JPG Views:	1 Size:	36.6 KB ID:	1233576Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0811.JPG Views:	1 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	1233577
    tool fan, Beaverfever1988 and 2 others like this.
    Cheers
    Randy
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: End Table

Very nice, I like it. Indeed hard to believe that the top and bottom are the same size. Very interesting design.

Tim

Comment

That's a different style pedestal. I like it. The Cherry should age nicely. What are you doing using Minwax ??? LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
        That's a different style pedestal. I like it. The Cherry should age nicely. What are you doing using Minwax ??? LOL.
        I knew you’d say something about the poly! I only spray WB and I wanted a water resistant oil based finish to darken the wood and bring out the grain.
        Wally in Calgary likes this.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

I knew you’d say something about the poly! I only spray WB and I wanted a water resistant oil based finish to darken the wood and bring out the grain.
          I love the look. The finish works. Don’t let critiquing on finish get to you.
          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post

I love the look. The finish works. Don’t let critiquing on finish get to you.
            Thanks. There was no critiquing. Wally taught me how to use my Fuji sprayer when I was struggling at first and he knows how much I like using it. A brushed on poly is not my usual choice, but WB does not enhance the grain in cherry like an oil based product. If it wasn’t for the fumes I’d spray nitrocellulose lacquer on it.
            Wally in Calgary likes this.
            Cheers
            Randy

Comment

Just thinking about next time, what if you got one of those portable mesh tent spray booth things that Lee valley sells and just spray your nitro outside?

I did that in years past, though I just had a cheap dinning tent from Crappy Tire, not one of those snazzy Lee valley versions.

Comment

Looks nice Randy..................Regards, Rod.
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

Thanks. There was no critiquing. Wally taught me how to use my Fuji sprayer when I was struggling at first and he knows how much I like using it. A brushed on poly is not my usual choice, but WB does not enhance the grain in cherry like an oil based product. If it wasn't for the fumes I’d spray nitrocellulose lacquer on it.
                  You should've brought it over here and sprayed it. There's a can of MLC Satin on the shelf. then it could have stayed for a couple of days if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

You should've brought it over here and sprayed it. There's a can of MLC Satin on the shelf. then it could have stayed for a couple of days if needed.
                    Thanks. I will consider that next time. I had a partial can of the Minwax stuff I needed to use up anyways though.

Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

very nice table, can i ask how the legs were attached and are there four legs hard to tell from the picture.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Allan in Oshawa View Post
                        very nice table, can i ask how the legs were attached and are there four legs hard to tell from the picture.

Allan
                        There are two V shaped legs (mitre joint) joined by 4 x 5/16” dowels to the top and bottom.
                        Cheers
                        Randy

Comment

Good job Randy. A question on top glue-ups that maybe others can jump in on. Do you keep each piece the same width or do you use different width pieces? I generally go for consistency in width. I have two tops to do and I'm wondering just how important it is to have consistent widths. Don't want to hijack your thread but it seems like a relevant question.

Comment

Looks good Randy!
                            Agree that it's hard to see that top and bottom are same size and my first impression was that it looks prone to tipping, but I assume it isn't.
                            Won't comment on the Minwax, there's a time and a place for everything. There are ways to get around the insipid waterbase look though.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by dwoody View Post
                              Good job Randy. A question on top glue-ups that maybe others can jump in on. Do you keep each piece the same width or do you use different width pieces? I generally go for consistency in width. I have two tops to do and I'm wondering just how important it is to have consistent widths. Don't want to hijack your thread but it seems like a relevant question.
                              Even widths are better IMO. Although you wouldn’t know it based on my table.
                              Cheers
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X