Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

This is not the forum I would normally post this type of build on but there has not been many builds posted lately so I thought I'd share my current project. I have been wanting to build an acoustic guitar for quite some time now and over the last year or two have been building luthier tools and jigs to use on the project. A few years ago, I purchased a 2nd quality Martin OM guitar kit. I eventually plan on building one from scratch but thought I would put the odds in my favour the first time around so opted for a kit for the first build. I have been working on this for a couples months now a couple hours at a time. The level of precision required is very high for this type of work and has been a lot of fun.

Hope you enjoy
    Last edited by rangerdave1; 04-21-2019, 08:38 PM.
    Old Grumpy, Frank D. and 2 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

Altough the sides came pre bent, they were not bent enough and there was to much strain on them when forcing them to the shape in the mold. I wet the wood, used a heating iron and worked on the bend till it they fit the shape. Then I cut the ends so they but up together and glued the end block and neck block to keep it all together.
    Last edited by rangerdave1; 04-21-2019, 09:57 AM.
    Beaverfever1988 likes this.

Comment

Here I added the kerfed lining to the sides which the top and back will be glued to. I added elastic bands to simple clothespins to clamp them down as the glue dried.
      Last edited by rangerdave1; 04-21-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Here I am laying out the top bracing, since the top has a 28' radius, i had to radius the bracing so when glued, the top would take that shape of the curved braces. Once the braces were glued to the top, I scalloped them to tune the top and lighten it as much as my untrained ear would allow.. (fingers crossed)

Comment

Very nice !! I would like to know if you bought or built your radius dish and if you built it, how did you calculate it and lay it out? I would also like to know how you determined the placement for the bracing? Just basic info would be great. I assume you are "tapping" and looking for a resonance as you remove material from the bracing?

Comment

The radius dishes were bought, I have a 28' (top) and 15' (back). Some make their own but that seemed to complicated for me.

The bracing pattern was determined from a Martin OM plan I have. I made a lexan template with the bracing pattern which I used to mark the back side of the top.

The braces were shaped when I got the kit but after they were glued to the top, I removed material while "tapping" on the top and listening to the change in resonance. This was difficult and who knows how this guitar will sound when complete. Tuning the top is complex and nothing can replace experience and a good ear..

Comment

Now the back bracing, radiused to 15'

Comment

Sanding the sides in the radius dishes to match the top and back radius.

with my shop assistant of course...

Comment

Great thread! Thank you for the answers.

cheers

Comment

Attaching the sides to the back.

One never has enough clamps...

Comment

And the same process for the top.

Starting to look like something now

Comment

Luthier work is full of challenges and most procedures are very specific to the art. Routing the channel around the body is no different. Since the top and back are arched, you cant use a normal rabbeting bit on a flat base as the channel will be angled to the side. To avoid this, you need to reference off the side so the the channel is square with the side. There are router jigs and dremel jigs available for this through luthier stores but most are expensive and each seem to have their flaws to me. So I decided to make my own. Precision is key here as well as the binding (trim around the border) is thin as is the purfling (decorative border). The binding is .080" and the purfling .060".

Here is what i came up with. Keep in mind i have a straight piece of rod instead of a bit while i was building the jig but this will be replaced with a sprial bit.

More to come, off to the park with my family.

Comment

RD... am enjoying the posted project. What is the material of the front, back and side? TIA, Roy
                          Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
                            RD... am enjoying the posted project. What is the material of the front, back and side? TIA, Roy
                            Forgot to mention those details.

The top is spruce but I don’t know which type. The back and sides are Indian rosewood and the binding (to be seen later) are curly maple

Comment

Just sitting back and enjoying the pictures and story. Keep them coming. You're doing an amazing job and you will to have a great looking guitar when it's finished.
                              the other Ken
                              ------
                              "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Working...
                              X