No announcement yet.

Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

Originally posted by rangerdave1 View Post

Forgot to mention those details.

The top is spruce but I don’t know which type. The back and sides are Indian rosewood and the binding (to be seen later) are curly maple

A great thread

Depending on what type of finish you're planning to use , I'd suggest that you make sure that the pale maple binding is to be isolated from the rosewood.

Indian rosewood has a tendency to discolor ( sweep into ) the pale binding pores when finishing & this may cause problem the purple color on binding would be quite hard to remove , especially if the type of finish is french polishing.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Looking great! Those are some very nice looking jigs, and I really like the tool cabinet in the background. Can't wait to see the rest. Thanks for the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre in Quebec View Post

A great thread

Depending on what type of finish you're planning to use , I'd suggest that you make sure that the pale maple binding is to be isolated from the rosewood.

Indian rosewood has a tendency to discolor ( sweep into ) the pale binding pores when finishing & this may cause problem the purple color on binding would be quite hard to remove , especially if the type of finish is french polishing.
        Oh I never knew that.. I may be past the point of no return at this point as you will see in the Future photos to come.
        Last edited by rangerdave1; 04-21-2019, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Here is the tail wedge. Cut by hand since it was short.. used a fine file to clean up the cut. Sanded down the wedge on the drum sander and once glued in place, flushed it with a card scraper.
          Last edited by rangerdave1; 04-21-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I Cut the channel for the purfling and binding. The jig I built for the router worked well and the spiral bit made a very clean cut. The router is certainly top heavy so I had to focus on keeping it from tipping in towards the guitar as that would have created a notch as the bit moved in to the top or back. Luckily that didn’t happen. The purfling I purchased but the binding I cut from a piece of curly maple I had laying around.

I rough cut the binding in to thin strips on the bandsaw, then through the drum sander to .080” and cut them to about 5/16” wide on the table saw. I then secured the strips in to a simple jig I made and used the hand plane to make the edges nice and straight and to the height I wanted, about .280”.

Comment

I soaked the binding in water, turned on the iron and bent them to fit the shape of the guitar. This was surprisingly easy and fun. Once dried they kept their shape very well.
              Last edited by rangerdave1; 04-21-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Although not necessary, I decided on adding a backstrip since the book match wasn’t perfect and there were a few chips at the seem which were too deep to sand out. Put together another simple jig and cut a dado .045” deep by 3/8” wide to match the width of the tail wedge. The dado is parallel within about .005” which was good enough for me.

Comment

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride. Building a guitar has always been something that has interested me, but the lack of any playing ability makes sure that being interested is all I do. I am enjoying the process though.

Comment

That is all that I have done so far. Next will be to glue the binding on the back and top and scrape everything perfectly flush.

The next big step will be to attach the neck to the body

stay tuned for more progress and hope everyone is enjoying the thread

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by gdtrfg View Post
                      Thanks for bringing us along for the ride. Building a guitar has always been something that has interested me, but the lack of any playing ability makes sure that being interested is all I do. I am enjoying the process though.
                      Although I already have a few very nice guitars, it seems I prefer building things as that is what I spend most of my hobby time doing. Once this one is done, I’ will likely pass it along to a family member to enjoy while I build another

I suggest to anyone interested in building one to it give a try. It is certainly a lot of work and preparation but so far it has been very satisfying work and the skills I am learning on this project will certainly transfer over to future projects. I wish I hadn'’t waited so long to start.

Last edited by rangerdave1; 04-21-2019, 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Excited to see the neck build. I've wanted to build a guitar for a long time but keep overthinking the neck.

And yes I'm enjoying this thread as I'm sure many others are. You also take great pics. Thanks again.

Comment

Very nice work!

Comment

Nice job so far and thanks for sharing.
                            Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Looking real nice for a first build.
                              • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Beaverfever1988 View Post
                                Excited to see the neck build. I've wanted to build a guitar for a long time but keep overthinking the neck.

And yes I'm enjoying this thread as I'm sure many others are. You also take great pics. Thanks again.
                                The neck came already shaped in the kit. It's definitely cheating doing it with a kit as a lot of the pieces are already done but for a first build, I thought it would be ok to cheat a little. This guitar is to prepare for the next build which will be from scratch.

Although the neck is already shaped, there is still a lot that can go wrong attaching it to the body. The guitar could easily turn in to firewood if the joint is not done correctly. There are a couple ways to make the neck joint and I'd love to make it a dovetail joint however I also want to end up with a useful guitar so I'd say I'll make it a bolt joint which is what a lot of well known high end brands do any way.

Comment

Working...
                                X