No announcement yet.

Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

I glued the neck blank together. The scarf joint was the most difficult part but even that wasn't hard as i had thought it might be.

Next will need to dimension the neck to final length, make the tenon and start carving the neck to shape.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The progress has been a bit slow due to working a lot. This part is pretty daunting and complicated so for that reason, it is taking a bit longer.

I cut the dado for the truss rod, also cut the heal to the angle I need (hopefuly correct )

also rought cut the fingerboard and the bridge which i forgot to photograph.

next up is joining the neck to the body.

Comment

Man, that is a lot of work.
        And this is only one part of what you've done.
        I'm impressed.

Noel
        "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "
        John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Guitar making is pure pleasure imho

Comment

Tonight I began fitting the neck to the body. I put together a basic jig to cut the dado in the body. It worked but when I build another guitar, I will build a better jig and one that will also allow to cut the tenon on the neck.

So far I am happy with the fit. The alignment looks good and I havenít even started the fine adjustments.

Now I am ready to start carving the neck. I havenít carved much so this will be a challenge. This is basically my first attempt at carving anything of significance but thankfully Sapele seems to be a good carving wood. The curly maple on the other hand is not but since itís only a thin strip in the centre, it should be ok.

Comment

Started shaping the neck today. Come to realize that a standard bench vice is not great for carving irregular shaped things.. had to hang it down below the bench. Kept the Martin neck next to it to use it as a reference.

I will update as I progress

Comment

As a relatively new woodworker but a long time guitar player, this build is fascinating. I know guys who build electric guitars (which can be difficult enough in their own right), but an acoustic guitar build... that's a whole other beast! Man, I would love to hear how this sounds and feel how well it plays when it's finished. Well done to you!

Comment

I have been hard at work on the neck. The photos will speak for themselves in regards to what steps I took. Unfortunately I made a few mistakes though. Itís about 3/16 to short so the 14th fret doesnít align with the edge of the body and I also carved too much in one spot so I glued in a piece but thereís a visible line which I donít like. So since I had more wood on hand, and Iím in no hurry to finish it, I decided to build a new neck.

Im already 80% done the second neck but skipped taking photos as it looks the same.

Ill post new new photos of the finished neck once Iím done.

Comment

Still watching ... looks great!! Keep the pictures coming ... I'm going out to get more popcorn

Comment

RD...looking good, and also good choice on the remake. Often ďgood enoughĒ isnít, at least in the makers eyes, Roy
                      Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Not much progress in the last few days but I did end up drilling and installing the threaded barrels to attach the neck to the body.

Comment

Very cool! I enjoyed seeing your problem solving efforts!!
                          All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Progress has been a bit slow but that is to be expected on a first time project with so many specialized steps. Doesn't help that I only get to work on it an hour or two at a time too.

So I rough finished the second neck and have about an hour of fine tuning with a card scraper and sand paper. The neck was challenging and was certainly a new skill for me to learn. I purchased a couple wrasp and files to do the shaping.

Before I finish the neck and also need to set the neck angle which I will need a fretboard and a bridge to do so.

I began building a fret board out of East Indian Rosewood. This part is tapered in width, the top is radiused and there are slots to accept the frets which are cut at .021" wide. This required a specific fret cutting saw with a depth stop. I made a sled type jig to hold the fret board parallel. The sled is used to radius the top with the radiusing block, then I used the same sled to cut the slots. I only cut 1 slot tonight as I ran out of shop time for the night.

Comment

I finished the fret slots and also made the holes for the abalone dots. Itís really beginning to look like a guitar now..

Comment

I began working on the bridge which is the last piece Iíll need to make for this guitar, well except
                                for the headplate I suppose which Iím waiting for the abalone inlay coming from Vietam.

The model bridge is Ebony and I am building one out of Rosewood. The colour of the rosewood in my first 3 photos is way off likely because it was focusing on the black mat and black ebony. They are also different pieces showing the stages. The actual colour is what it looks like in the last photo.

Next Iíll be making the slot and doing the final shaping.

Comment

Working...
                                X