Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rangerdave1
    started a topic Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

Acoustic guitar build (first attempt)

This is not the forum I would normally post this type of build on but there has not been many builds posted lately so I thought I'd share my current project. I have been wanting to build an acoustic guitar for quite some time now and over the last year or two have been building luthier tools and jigs to use on the project. A few years ago, I purchased a 2nd quality Martin OM guitar kit. I eventually plan on building one from scratch but thought I would put the odds in my favour the first time around so opted for a kit for the first build. I have been working on this for a couples months now a couple hours at a time. The level of precision required is very high for this type of work and has been a lot of fun.

Hope you enjoy
    Last edited by rangerdave1; 04-21-2019, 08:38 PM.

• Roy in Thunder Bay
    replied
    Thanks for the info, Roy

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
    Rd1... have appreciated your work to date. What is the significance of the fretboard dots, not a musician so I see no particular use for them. Roy
    They are just for easy reference so you don't need to count the frets. The double dots mark the second octave on the fret board which is at the 12th fret. Different builders may mark them a bit different or leave some out but still at the same intervals, ei: 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, then it starts over.

Leave a comment:

• Roy in Thunder Bay
    replied
    Rd1... have appreciated your work to date. What is the significance of the fretboard dots, not a musician so I see no particular use for them. Roy

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    Drilled for the tuning machines. Pretty simple task.

The tuners are just set in to make sure they fit.

Next will I’ll be installing the dots in the fretboard and pressing in the frets

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    I decide on a simple head plate inlay so it wasn’t bare. Inlayed a stylish letter G to represent my last name without actually putting my name on it. Scraped it flush and pretty happy with the result. Then I glued the head plate to the neck and flushed it up. The neck is now complete.

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    I finalized the shape of the neck and got the angle set and straight with the body. As daunting as it was, it wasn’t to much trouble.

Leave a comment:

• jaywood1207
    replied
    Looking really good and can't wait to see it with a finish.

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    The bridge and everything else is mostly finished. I will likely round the edges a bit when it's time to do the finishing.

All is left to do is the head plate which I am still waiting on the Abalone inlay.

I will soon start finalizing the neck shape and neck angle/fit.

Then I will be ready to final scrape/sand the body, spray the finish and final assembly and set up.

Getting close to the end so I Bought a case yesterday

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    I began working on the bridge which is the last piece I’ll need to make for this guitar, well except
    for the headplate I suppose which I’m waiting for the abalone inlay coming from Vietam.

The model bridge is Ebony and I am building one out of Rosewood. The colour of the rosewood in my first 3 photos is way off likely because it was focusing on the black mat and black ebony. They are also different pieces showing the stages. The actual colour is what it looks like in the last photo.

Next I’ll be making the slot and doing the final shaping.

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    I finished the fret slots and also made the holes for the abalone dots. It’s really beginning to look like a guitar now..

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    Progress has been a bit slow but that is to be expected on a first time project with so many specialized steps. Doesn't help that I only get to work on it an hour or two at a time too.

So I rough finished the second neck and have about an hour of fine tuning with a card scraper and sand paper. The neck was challenging and was certainly a new skill for me to learn. I purchased a couple wrasp and files to do the shaping.

Before I finish the neck and also need to set the neck angle which I will need a fretboard and a bridge to do so.

I began building a fret board out of East Indian Rosewood. This part is tapered in width, the top is radiused and there are slots to accept the frets which are cut at .021" wide. This required a specific fret cutting saw with a depth stop. I made a sled type jig to hold the fret board parallel. The sled is used to radius the top with the radiusing block, then I used the same sled to cut the slots. I only cut 1 slot tonight as I ran out of shop time for the night.

Leave a comment:

• MartyFromKingston
    replied
    Very cool! I enjoyed seeing your problem solving efforts!!

Leave a comment:

• rangerdave1
    replied
    Not much progress in the last few days but I did end up drilling and installing the threaded barrels to attach the neck to the body.

Leave a comment:

• Roy in Thunder Bay
    replied
    RD...looking good, and also good choice on the remake. Often “good enough” isn’t, at least in the makers eyes, Roy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X