Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing The PortaBench!

OK Ryan..... have you resolved the holdfast problem? Roy
    Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone! Really appreciate hearing that.

I've been using the porta bench a bit right in the shop, just to give it some "sea trials". So far I've been happy. The one thing I wonder about is the legs: the concrete floor in my shop is so uneven that it's impossible for me to tell if it's wobbly because the legs need adjustment, or because the floor is off. I have leveling feet on virtually everything else in the shop. I have a big install scheduled to start on Tuesday, so porta-bench will have it's first real test then. I'll see how it is lugging it onto site. I don't think that part will be fun, but on the other hand, I don't expect it to be the worst. We lug many other things that are much heavier.

As for the hold-fasts, they work great on the bench itself - the counter-boring of the bottom and sanding of the top solved the problem there, and so I've been using them all week on the bench top with great effect. It's the storage holes on the side that I wasn't able to get working, no matter what I tried. So I finally gave up and just installed some 1" rare-earth magnets. Even though I have that grippy rubber on the faces of my hold fasts (so that they don't marr), the rare earth magnets are strong enough to hold them in place in the storage holes, so I think that should work fine. We'll see how it goes on Tuesday.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

UPDATE

Hello everyone, I've been able to use the porta-bench onsite most of this week. I'm very happy with it. On a flat level floor it sits solid and stable. It is a beast to carry - especially uphill through the woods from the dock! - but I discovered that once you've got the shoulder strap on, you can swing it around onto your back quite easily and that makes carrying it much easier. I was even able to hop in and out of the boat with it.

But having a real work surface to work on was just such a game changer. Lots of little tasks simply went much smoother, and it was nice just to feel organized around a central location for tools, etc. I wish I'd made this year's ago!

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190507_1503495.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	1236626 ​​​​

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190507_1503583.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	1236624
        Attached Files

Comment

great execution!

glad it is working out as well, or better, than you hoped.
          [insert something witty here]

Comment

Hope you don't mind,I may use a few of these ideas for a stash away bench in my small shop,as I am lacking a true carpenters bench.thinking of hinging to a wall,possiably.
            nice work

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
              Hope you don't mind,I may use a few of these ideas for a stash away bench in my small shop,as I am lacking a true carpenters bench.thinking of hinging to a wall,possiably.
              nice work
              Don't hinge it to a wall... You will regret it. You are better to hang it and make it so you can move it around. Limiting it to a single wall and not being able to walk around it will limit it a great deal.

Comment

Great build thread Ryan. The only thing I don't like about it as others have said, is the weight. Ninety pounds man. Ouch!

You might want to consider this $50 option with a wide base large wheeled dolly intended for trailer moving, but could likely easily be rigged for your portable work table. It's a 'Special Buy' so it's not a regularly stocked item and they only offer while quantities last on special buy items at PA.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ly/A-p8683567e

I'm sure you could figure out a securing system for harnessing it sucurely to the dolly so it doesn't bobble around for when hauling over rough terrain. With 12 inch tires, you could go off-roading with this no problem. lol!

Curious, what are the dimensions of your work table? Ballpark.
                Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 05-14-2019, 06:29 AM.
                Kevin

Comment

Weight becomes an issue to the older folk like me. The young, strong and energetic would be looking for additional items to carry with the other arm!
                  Egon
                  from
                  The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                    Weight becomes an issue to the older folk like me. The young, strong and energetic would be looking for additional items to carry with the other arm!
                    That's so true. I didn't think I was really that old yet, but I had my eyes opened the other day on this install. The rocky stairs from the dock up to the cottage were rough, long and steep. I was hoofing porta-bench up the hill and it was not fun. Of the regular tools I bring, there are two large tool bags that are especially heavy. I've never weighed them, but they are heavy enough that I always take them one at a time, with one handle in each hand. The developer had some young labourers there to help carry my gear up. While I'm huffing and puffing up the hill, one of these young guys goes by me and I couldn't believe my eyes! He had one of the heavy bags in one hand, one in the other, and then for good measure he had the mini compressor under one arm and the pinned and hose under the other! And I thought "wow, I did not realise how much I was no longer a young man" !

Comment

Thanks Kevin. As I get older (!) I might add some sort of wheel system. I was thinking wheelbarrow style like my larger ridgid air compressor. The dimensions are roughly 4'x3'.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post

And I thought "wow, I did not realise how much I was no longer a young man" !
                        Welcome to the club.

Noel
                        "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                        "
                        John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

That's so true. I didn't think I was really that old yet, but I had my eyes opened the other day on this install. The rocky stairs from the dock up to the cottage were rough, long and steep. I was hoofing porta-bench up the hill and it was not fun. Of the regular tools I bring, there are two large tool bags that are especially heavy. I've never weighed them, but they are heavy enough that I always take them one at a time, with one handle in each hand. The developer had some young labourers there to help carry my gear up. While I'm huffing and puffing up the hill, one of these young guys goes by me and I couldn't believe my eyes! He had one of the heavy bags in one hand, one in the other, and then for good measure he had the mini compressor under one arm and the pinned and hose under the other! And I thought "wow, I did not realise how much I was no longer a young man" !
                          Hahaha .... welcome to my world!!

I gotta' say that I really enjoyed reading your build process and then seeing the working result, on site at the end. Nicely done!!

Comment

Thanks Kevin. As I get older (!) I might add some sort of wheel system. I was thinking wheelbarrow style like my larger ridgid air compressor. The dimensions are roughly 4'x3'.
                            Something like this perhaps?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190515_140803.jpg Views:	1 Size:	720.8 KB ID:	1237211Click image for larger version  Name:	20190515_140731.jpg Views:	1 Size:	719.7 KB ID:	1237212Click image for larger version  Name:	20190514_192057.jpg Views:	1 Size:	918.2 KB ID:	1237213

https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=tool&id=3194

Just got it a couple of days ago. The rack is quite adjustable and could accommodate your work table quite well imo.

I have the tip-able bucket accessory as well for dealing with rocks/concrete which I will lots of come this summer when I get out of my office work seasonal heavy work period. It is load rated for up to 260 lbs or so and has two speeds. As you can see, I took it out for a quick spin last nite for hauling out the trash to the curb although that is not what I would ever use it for really.

The price may make you skittish though. I bought mine hardly used at the Makita Canada Head Office/Service Center in Whitby near me for what was retailer cost and they also threw in two 4.0 Ah batteries for free to sweeten the deal when I was doing my 'humming and hawing' routine. Lol!

Basically this was a returned item within their 30 day no fuss satisfaction guarantee from about 6 months ago that the Makita reps took with them on occasion to shows and such and they were willing to part with it as it was a space hog in their showroom/warehouse. I really lucked out as usual on getting a deal on tools. God has blessed me with that....dare I say 'skill'?

EDIT: The carrier rack side bars and forward-most bar are adjustable/removeable. Might go and set up a motorized work table add-on I'll Magiver myself to do sorta what you've done. You're thread inspired me as such to ponder that. Thanks again for posting your work Ryan.
                            Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 05-15-2019, 01:48 PM.
                            Kevin

Comment

You know what Ryan, your thread has really inspired me. I am going to make some kind of base add-on to that motorized Makita cart to accommodate my old Festool 1080 MFT work table. I don't think I would have thought of this anytime soon if it wasn't for your thread.

I have a love/hate relationship with my MFT. I love it in my shop where it normally resides and use it all the time on a castered base I made for it that also stores a bunch of Systainered tools underneath as well, but I hated it when I really needed it elsewhere working on projects and having to deal with reinstalling its leg supports and the general weight and bulkiness of moving it to where I needed which would typically be outside somewhere. With building a base for the Makita carrier that can accomodate the MFT and be able to work off of, it will get a lot more use from me. I'd probably put the MFT's legs in storage and barely ever need them again. I bought a couple of Keter portable worktables on clearance at HD a few years back, and they are awesome. But sometimes it's really my MFT I need or want to work off of. The design for the base unit is still cooking in my head for now, but I am eager to do this sometime in the coming weeks.

I had some real reservations about buying that Makita carrier/wheelbarrow, but now that mild discomfort is slowly slipping away. I'm really starting to realize how many different tasks I can use it for. To think I didn't even want the carrier cage initially and only opted for it when it was offered to me at dealer cost. Glad I didn't decline that now. Just the other day, I lugged in one load 8 big bags of dirt I picked up at the garden nursery from my car to the backyard effortlessly using the carrier cage. I coulda used the bucket if that's all I had, but that would have taken at least 2 trips if not three due to its lesser volume capacity.
                              Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 05-20-2019, 07:28 AM.
                              Kevin

Comment

As far as weight,it's a good thing in a bench in my opinion,and in this case,a portable bench,a balance between the pros and cons of heavy and portability must be found,and ,really,only the user can decide on the balance that suits them best

Comment

Working...
                                X