Bed Designing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed Designing

Hi, I have a photograph of a bed I'd like to make, I suspect in my lifetime the only way I'd be able to see the actual bed was to make it. So that said has anyone tried to make a plan based off a photograph to produce a furniture piece?

Any help, suggestions, etc that don't involve seeing the piece in person would be appreciated.

Thank you!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bed Designing

It would depend on the design you are starting with do you have a photo of what you want to make?
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

When ever I try to mimic something from a picture, I take a part of it and use it as a reference point for scale. In your case I would use the mattress as the reference point.

Can you post the picture? If so I bet some pros could give you better advice.

Comment

I am building my son's stacking single beds / bunk bed right now. I am amalgamating features from photos a sofa, and a bed.
        The mattress size is my starting point, then everything else is scaled off of the photos.
        Also features from other beds we own, like side rail heights & widths, post dimensions, head board / foot board height are also taken into consideration, from existing furniture.

Good Luck
        https://www.red9designs.ca

Comment

I need to imitate a lot of things from pictures. They give me a style that a customer wants and then I make something in that style in Sketchup and send it back for confirmation. For measurements especially for beds I just go to the mattress I want in and measure it and that will give me the size I can work with. For height I again go to your bed and if it's at a comfortable height for you then take that measurement for height of the box spring.

Everything is doable. Most things are standard so even a quick search can find you most of the measurements that you need for a bed.

Comment

Comment

Funny, the bed end is so plane compared to the canopy and head board, once you have a picture like that I would start by considering what wood you have or can buy, what tooling you have some of that work would require some complex tooling, I would draw it to scale then draw it full size or at least draw the details full size then you can see how complex it will be to make, I would suggest you tone it down, simplify it, if you have not ventured into that kind of work before you are in for a shock unless you have lots of money and can pay someone to do the machining for you then you would have to communicate what you need in detail to those who can do it.
              There is a lot to go wrong here, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
                Funny, the bed end is so plane compared to the canopy and head board, once you have a picture like that I would start by considering what wood you have or can buy, what tooling you have some of that work would require some complex tooling, I would draw it to scale then draw it full size or at least draw the details full size then you can see how complex it will be to make, I would suggest you tone it down, simplify it, if you have not ventured into that kind of work before you are in for a shock unless you have lots of money and can pay someone to do the machining for you then you would have to communicate what you need in detail to those who can do it.
                There is a lot to go wrong here, good luck.
                Yes the wood should be black walnut. What sort of tooling would you figure is required? I think I have all the machines for this. Maybe not all the tooling but I certainly would buy any required tooling.

I'm not overly sure on the inlay work anything with that.

The back and upper seems like rails styles and panels that don't seem too hard.

The mix of plane and fancy is why I am drawn to this design

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Grower View Post

Yes the wood should be black walnut. What sort of tooling would you figure is required? I think I have all the machines for this. Maybe not all the tooling but I certainly would buy any required tooling.

I'm not overly sure on the inlay work anything with that.

The back and upper seems like rails styles and panels that don't seem too hard.

The mix of plane and fancy is why I am drawn to this design
                  Oh and I am planning to do all the work myself with no help from outside company unless its to do with tooling.

Comment

I have made a number of beds, some my own design and currently I am making one from a photo. The advice about referencing the mattress size as well as other beds is spot on. There are lots of things to consider that at first blush you may not think of. As an example I had to scale down the headboard to avoid it blocking a large painting we have hanging on the wall behind the bed. The bed you picture has what looks like a fairly thin mattress so I would strongly suggest you consider the mattress selection and how that will influence your comfort and the look of the bed. Side rail to head and foot board connection is always a design issue so that needs to be solved early on in the design process. There are many options but not all will suit the design of that bed. Lee Valley have options here http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...,40842&p=43730
                    The canopy will be a dust magnet so for health reasons you want to be able to vacuum it regularly. The height becomes a consideration with respect to the ceiling and clearance for vacuuming. The proportions are key so I would research similar bed designs for the height of the canopy and then do a small scale model to be sure. The turned supports will have to be solid enough to hold the weight of the canopy and at the same time not be overpowering.
                    I agree with Bob that the foot board if you can even call it that looks out of place - almost like it is a cheap replacement for the original. I would certainly change that in some way. Finally it appears there is glass incorporated into the canopy and head board to lighten the look. That is an important feature to me. Can you do that?
                    I hope you are not discouraged as this would be a terrific project to tackle, not to mention an entertaining build thread.
                    Wood Grower likes this.

Comment

W/G... you, of course, realize that this project will lead to other matching furniture..... dresser, chest of drawers, bedside tables at the very least. You best get a lift of walnut before the price rises any further! Will be an interesting project to follow, Roy
                      Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

This is how I would go about this.

I would go to Home Depo and buy the cheapest 1/4 Plywood they have with one side that is good enough to draw on. This will be my story board

On the 4 foot side I would do the back of the bed up to where the tipple panel are. To me that is a natural break so that is where the rest of the back board will sit on. You can see there's a moulding hiding something there. You want to mark out where the stiles are going to be and where the top of the bedboard is going to come in as well as the long supports for the mattress. You also want to mark where the bottom part of that moulding is going to be.

On the other 4 foot side I would do the story of the top panels. More than likely it's also two piece with the moulding separating the very top and the middle. On this one you want to mark out where the inside frame is starting and finishing and where the framework will be to support it. Then make a single drawing of the inside panel. It's one panel that repeats itself and probably has the construction like a picture frame. That will probably be cut out on the tablesaw. The very top part might also fit on that 4 foot side of the board

On the 8 foot side I would put the front post. Figure out where you need to break the pattern with limitations on your lathe. That probably has 3 or 4 pieces in it with a large dowel going though the middle. You can draw out half of the design on the board with breaking points that you already marked out and you will be able to find ways to hide those. You also want to mark out where the bed supports are going to end up and if you want it taller than 8 feet then you can always get two boards.

For the roof. It's a repeatable pattern like the backboard. This one you need to support it with dowels or something and make it as light as you can.

The backboard probably has a couple of pieces of wood that holds everything together in the back that you will never see unless you take it off the wall. So keep that in mind also.
                        Wood Grower likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
                          W/G... you, of course, realize that this project will lead to other matching furniture..... dresser, chest of drawers, bedside tables at the very least. You best get a lift of walnut before the price rises any further! Will be an interesting project to follow, Roy
                          I'm sott of hoping on cutting and sawing the whole project however I do know some guys with some black walnut kicking around probably enough they might be willing to part from....

Comment

Working...
                          X