Collapsible Wooden Japanese sticks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsible Wooden Japanese sticks

Hello everyone and thank you for allowing me into this forum! I am a martial arts practitioner (Aikido) and I have a personal project to make a couple of wooden weapons collapsible. It makes it easier to transport, especially when you are going overseas to attend an Aikido seminar. The 2 types of sticks we use are the bokken (a wooden sword replica) and the jo (a wooden staff). The bokken is 40 inches long - the cross-section of the blade in inches is attached. The jo is 50 inches long; diameter is 1 inch and uniform. Both sticks are made of hardwood (e.g.; oak). If I want the ability to collapse each stick into two halves with the ability to attach and detach at will (so no glue can be used). Keep in mind that each stick will be subject to some traversal impact when used with a partner. Have you run into an scenario like this? Does anyone have any suggestions to join both pieces, end-to-end? I have been thinking of a Mortise-Tenon wood joint with a fastener,or something like that. Any ideas you might have will be appreciated - Thank you!
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Collapsible Wooden Japanese sticks

Due to the constant stress that this will have, I am not sure of a mechanism that would work for it. In addition, I suspect there are rules to how the weapons are to be made. If allowed, a long metal screw like a 2 piece pool que would have seems like it might work.

Comment

I can't see a mortise and tenon joint having enough meat left to survive the kind of use you are talking about, especially after you remove still more for something to lock it together. The resulting join would be very fragile. It MAY be possible to find a joint that would work in a book on japanese joinery, they often use joints meant to extend a post that locks together with a pin, hence using no glue. One of these may work and even be appropriate. My onl other suggestion would be check out Lee Valley's hardware catalogue for pool cue hardware or walking stick hardware, there may be something usable there. Once again, I would be concerned about the strength of the joint, none of that hardware is meant for transverse loads. Also, I don't know how your Aikido competitions rules would look on a chunk of metal in your weapons. All out of ideas after that.

Comment

Great comments Charles! - Funny! I was just checking this URL right before seeing your comment: https://www.seyberts.com/pins a website of a pool cue pin provider - I agree that it could be a good place to start...I have a few spare old bokkens I can use to experiment...and thanks!

Comment

I personally don't think that two pieces of wood attached to one an other with a mechanical joint will be strong enough. That being said if you see others with collapsible swords then maybe take a long look at them. A quick search online showed none that I could see.

I don't know how good Oak will do for something designed for multiple impacts it's an open grain wood and when working with it you might end up with multiple splinters because it's hard to get it to the shape you want. There's also no name brand bats that use Oak and there's got to be a good reason for that.

I would recommended Hickory for wood that you will be deliberately hitting multiple times. It's hard and it's used in most tool handles in North America for a reason and that is because it is shock resistant.

Comment

All thread & coupler. Local hardware store.

https://images.app.goo.gl/4rUAveSCdyuxokDu7
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Something with a strong spring and an appropriate male and female socket possibly. Threaded as stated already would be my choice.
              My first cousin is an Aikido instuctor he built his sticks from Hop Hornbeam cut at our cottage back in the 80's. His are one piece, people travel with skis, and long things all the time.

Oak is not a good choice ,Hickory, Ash maybe but he has had his stick for decades.
              Last edited by redlee; 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM.
              • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

For type of wood chosen an American Beech sapling of maybe three inches in diameter an then turned down might be one choice.
                Egon
                from

Comment

If I had to do this, I would try these couplers and use a ferule on each end of the cut to prevent splitting, still I’m not sure you will have success doing this, but give it a try all you have to loose is a cut up stick

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...306,41319&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...306,41319&ap=1

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Leo beat me to it. I have used the brass couplers in walking sticks and they make a strong joint.
                    Glenn

Comment

A test trial glueing a piece of ready rod into a dowel for a proposed cane project from several years ago.
                      Egon
                      from

Comment

Working...
                      X