Some major lumber retailers not showing prices on website

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some major lumber retailers not showing prices on website

I've noticed that many lumber retailers are not showing up lumber prices anymore on their respective website , nor even on instrument components .

I used to visit them from time to time to keep up with lumber prices on both domestics and exotics , especially Exotic Woods and A&M Wood inc

I'm wondering what's the strategy behind the '' call us for pricing'' idea
    Last edited by Andre in Quebec; 05-14-2019, 04:03 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Some major lumber retailers not showing prices on website

It might just be because they got tired of updating prices on the website. It's a chore and it might not help them sell lumber.

Comment

I find it annoying when the prices aren’t listed in their websites. I’m not ordering lumber for a large furniture project online however for specialty projects such as instruments, I’m left with very few suppliers and if I can’t view what is available and what the price is, I simply move on...

I realize the time and work involved however I would think that showing your product online with prices opens up your market to the entire country..

stotto likes this.

Comment

My local hardware store told me that their lumber price changes with every delivery (truckloads). There's no way they could afford to hire someone to keep the website updated.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
          My local hardware store told me that their lumber price changes with every delivery (truckloads). There's no way they could afford to hire someone to keep the website updated.
          John, that sounds like buying cable, when it leaves the dock they bill you as copper prices fluctuate constantly.....Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I've said this many times. Lumber is a commodity just like sow bellies. The price fluctuates all the time. It goes up and it also goes down just like the gas at your pump, it's price is controlled by the market.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

For an online retailer pricing is important for consumers. If prices fluctuate tell your customer.

Prices subject to change. May be different than listed price....whatever.

At least a buyer has some idea of cost though it may not be exact.

I'm guessing there are many folks ( myself included) that quickly skip a site or page if there are no prices.
              http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Why would anybody buy wood online??? Especially if you are building something you want to cherish. If I am not buying in bulk orders I want to pick the wood that I will be using. Plus hardwood is heavy so expensive to ship.

If you don't have a wood retailer in your area or saw mills or any of that then maybe. Where I live we have 3 or 4 good retailers for hardwood. I can call to see prices but really I just walk in and see if there's anything I like.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
                  If they can update their prices at the cash register, they should be able to update their prices on the website with little/zero extra work ... unless they are literally maintaining everything to do with pricing manually on paper.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thomasr View Post
                    If they can update their prices at the cash register, they should be able to update their prices on the website with little/zero extra work ... unless they are literally maintaining everything to do with pricing manually on paper.

That would work if all the stores bought from one distributor. This is not the case, so each store updates their POS software from the shipping/invoice info that comes with each truckload or order. The website is a national brand site, not an individual store site.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by thomasr View Post

They don't update the prices from all the cashes. Big hardware stores have an integrated system where a entire area of the country has the same prices. They also order larger amounts of wood at one time leaving lumber in a lumber yard in a central location.

A hardwood supplier is totally different. If you ever bough hardwood you would know that the cashier measures the piece of wood. Length, width and thickness in inches then divide that by 144 then they go to their price list to determine the board feet price and then they manually punch in the numbers. They have different bins for different species of lumber. Some places have one face skim planed so you can see the grain. These are mom and pop stores usually and they don't exactly have an IT department to update prices.

Comment

As others have said it is a commodity and prices are up and down. I buy plywood by the lift. 6 mos ago it was $63 a sheet and then it went to $78 . got a lift last thurs and it was down to $70. All from the same dealer. Disasters have the greatest effect. The plywood I buy comes from a mill in Cochrane, on.
                        Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM.
                        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Getting a price list from Exotic Woods is easy. Complete the online form and they will email you any price list you request. I agree viewing prices on a website is more convenient.

http://exotic-woods.com/contact-us/

Comment

Working...
                          X