Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best tool for the job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best tool for the job

    When do you reach for your handtools and why???

    I like to do the final adjustments with handtools. I find that is the easiest and fastest way to get that done.
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Best tool for the job

    I never reach for the old brace and bit or the yankee screw driver but that could change as my drill battries give out they seem to be made with a limited life span, I do like my hand planes and scrapers, nothing can take the place of a router but hand sanding is far better than any machine and no machine can do what a marking gauge does, I have some very blunt chisels (useful) and some very sharp ones, so for my money and what I am doing at the moment a lot of my tools get very little use and some a lot of use.

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Best tool for the job

      Originally posted by bkrits View Post
      I never reach for the old brace and bit or the yankee screw driver but that could change as my drill battries give out they seem to be made with a limited life span, I do like my hand planes and scrapers, nothing can take the place of a router but hand sanding is far better than any machine and no machine can do what a marking gauge does, I have some very blunt chisels (useful) and some very sharp ones, so for my money and what I am doing at the moment a lot of my tools get very little use and some a lot of use.
      Why do you need blunt chisels???

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Best tool for the job

        Originally posted by bogmer View Post

        Why do you need blunt chisels???
        So I don't wreck a good sharp one.
        To clean the cured glue from my glue spreader, on house renovations there is always something that will damage a good one, if I have a piece of wood that I want to turn and it has a split I break it at the split to see where it goes and a big blunt chisel is ideal, scraping paint from wood before it goes over a machine saves my machine knives.
        bogmer likes this.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Best tool for the job

          And they do a better job then screwdrivers. LOL
          bogmer likes this.
          "Do it Right!"

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Best tool for the job

            Blunt chisels are the best for removing staples. lifting/prying off painted-on fixtures or outlet/switch plates, removing moldings, and a whole slew of other jobs.

            I mostly reach for my hand tools when it's faster or more efficient than using my corded tools, which is maybe half the time.
            bogmer likes this.
            Frank
            SPCHT

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Best tool for the job

              I reach for hand tools 90% of the time (estimated) for work at the bench including my model and toy building efforts! I own and enjoy hundreds of hand tools; many of which are stored in my above bench tool cabinet or in the drawers of my workbench so they are close at hand and consequently are more likely to be used in first instance than rummaging out a power tool! Besides, they are much cleaner and quieter than their powered equivalents.

              In fact, I hardly ever use any power tool at my bench except on the rare occasion when I might use one form or another of power drill or on the rarer occasion when I might use a ROS or pad sander on something gripped in the bench vise(s). None of the snarling beasts like a router, biscuit joiner or powered saw are allowed near my bench to gouge it up or otherwise damage it.

              I don't own any blunt chisels but do have scrapers for scraping; staple and tack lifters for staple and tack removal(surprise there!); about a dozen hammers and mallets of differing forms for differing purposes; various forms of pry bar for differing tasks; similarly saws for nearly every purpose one might dream up. Power tools are important in my shop too but less so than the hand tools for wood working. Metal working is pretty much the reverse as power tools are the mainstay of my workforce in that endeavour!

              Ken
              carbonBased and bogmer like this.

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Best tool for the job

                Originally posted by bkrits View Post

                So I don't wreck a good sharp one.
                To clean the cured glue from my glue spreader, on house renovations there is always something that will damage a good one, if I have a piece of wood that I want to turn and it has a split I break it at the split to see where it goes and a big blunt chisel is ideal, scraping paint from wood before it goes over a machine saves my machine knives.
                I got a set of these in my toolbox that I use for that.

                https://www.mactools.ca/en-ca/Cuttin...er-Scraper-Set

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Best tool for the job

                  Ken I am with you with using handtools once the work hits your bench. I do have a small cordless router and it does do a lot of noise but it also does a super good job. The power tools I mostly use on my workbench are the Router, drills, jigsaw (only when I absolutelly need it) and circular saw.

                  I will reach for the handsaw if I have something small or precise I need to cut over anything that is powered and the silence is nice...

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Best tool for the job

                    Originally posted by bogmer View Post

                    I got a set of these in my toolbox that I use for that.

                    https://www.mactools.ca/en-ca/Cuttin...er-Scraper-Set
                    I see they are discontinued, people must be finding blunt chisels better

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Best tool for the job

                      Originally posted by bkrits View Post

                      I see they are discontinued, people must be finding blunt chisels better
                      They just changed the grip or something.

                      https://www.mactools.ca/en-ca/Cuttin...ip-Scraper-Set

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Best tool for the job

                        They are not woodworking tools... Mactool is the pro Mechanic line of Stanley tools.

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: Best tool for the job

                          As others have said, a lot of bench work is of course, hand tool related.

                          Planing, scraping, using a router plane for dado and groove cleanup, a shoulder plane for trimming tennons, a block plane etc.

                          Chisels, marking gauges, knives, still areas that are all hand tools.

                          For decades my cordless drill was a Miller Falls model, I only recently purchased an electric cordless, it's the only electric cordless tool I own, The Millers Falls still gets used frequently, and the power source recharges rapidly with a mug of Earl Grey tea.

                          Now sometimes machinery use makes the hand tool use redundant. If I cut tenons on the shaper, the tenon thickness does not vary as both sides are cut simultaneously, so they fit in the mortice without trimming, the shoulder plane stays in the drawer.

                          I try to keep hand sanding to a minimum due to dust, however it's often the best or only method of performing certain sanding operations.

                          Regards, Rod.
                          KenL likes this.
                          Work is the curse of the riding class.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X