jointer question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jointer question

So I have an 8 inch craftex jointer. Similar to grizzly jointers.
    The fence seems not to want to remain square.
    Also the fence wont square perfectly to both the infeed and the outfeed at the same time.
    Squaring the indeed seems to be the best option there. It's about 5 thousands out.
    Wanted to hear some thoughts on the coming out of square thing.

Thnx
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: jointer question

My first thought is that if the fence is straight, and it won't align square (at 90') to both tables at the same time, then the tables cannot be coplanar. ??

Comment

Yes. I thought that as well. I made every effort to assure my self that the tables are I deed square to each other. They seem to be exactly that. According g to the manual and grizzlys YouTube tutorial. I get the feeling the fence is off

Comment

5 thousands? That's about the thickness of a human hair. Set it and keep working.
        Rusty likes this.

Comment

More interested in figuring out if there is a way to tighten the fence so it doesnt keep coming out of alignment

Comment

The fence on my 150mm jointer is bent (cast iron) it also never looks square to both tables, the fence on my bench saw moves if I push the wood too hard against it.
            I learnt many years ago that wood work is not exact like steel, we all know it can move overnight, the skill of a joiner / craftsman (call him/ her what you like) is in dealing with this, unless you always want something to blame.
            What I build on my mediocre gear

Comment

A couple questions for clarification. Let’s assume you are okay with the fence being out 5 thou between the infeed and outfeed. Are you saying that the fence is square to one table then it moves during use or does it go out of square whenever you move it? Is the jointer new?
              Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by klassenl View Post
                5 thousands? That's about the thickness of a human hair. Set it and keep working.
                Good point ... I missed that "5 thousandths" part. Set it and use it.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood1207 View Post
                  A couple questions for clarification. Let’s assume you are okay with the fence being out 5 thou between the infeed and outfeed. Are you saying that the fence is square to one table then it moves during use or does it go out of square whenever you move it? Is the jointer new?
                  Moving it and having it remain square is out of the question. I dont expect it to do that. What I mean is when I use it it sometimes will move for no apparent reason. I basically have to check each individual board if jointing up say ten or 12 pieces otherwise I think I'm getting square boards when somewhere in there it has moved. I recently used a wrench to tighten things down again. Hopefully that helps. That plastic handle may have needed some help.
                  Bought it new 2 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
                    The fence on my 150mm jointer is bent (cast iron) it also never looks square to both tables, the fence on my bench saw moves if I push the wood too hard against it.
                    I learnt many years ago that wood work is not exact like steel, we all know it can move overnight, the skill of a joiner / craftsman (call him/ her what you like) is in dealing with this, unless you always want something to blame.
                    What I build on my mediocre gear
                    If I had 1/2 your skills I'd be twice as good. ;)
                    sgbotsford likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post

Comment

0.005” is going to be difficult for a lot of woodworkers to measure accurately with the measuring devices used for woodworking.
                        If the tables are coplanar to each other (this is important on a jointer). Then I would set the fence as close to square as I could with a reliable square. Then edge joint a straight piece of wood and check that for a square edge. If needed fine tune the fence and joint the piece again, continue until you get the fence dialled in.
                        The fence should not change when in use. You said you tightened things up, that should help.
                        You should be able to move the fence back and forth without effecting the angle of the fence relative to the table.

I had a cheap 4” jointer many years ago that the fence would flex on making it pretty much useless for edge jointing. I would thing a 8” jointer would have a much better fence than that though.

After trying the suggestions posted here if it still moves please take some pictures of the fence and post them here. Maybe that will shine a different light on things.
                        Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post

Its all about how you hold your mouth

Comment

Originally posted by oldandslow View Post
                            So I have an 8 inch craftex jointer. Similar to grizzly jointers.
                            The fence seems not to want to remain square.
                            Also the fence wont square perfectly to both the infeed and the outfeed at the same time.
                            Squaring the indeed seems to be the best option there. It's about 5 thousands out.
                            Wanted to hear some thoughts on the coming out of square thing.

Thnx
                            That fence is about 5" tall so on a 3/4" edge this will cause 0,00075" out of squareness. I could live with that and it's "good enough for the girls I go out with".

Comment

Do you have a picture of the fence arrangement?

I feel there might be something like a jam nut missing and your fence slowly tilts from vibration. Maybe a knurled washer on what ever bolt is supposed to tighten the part that is shifting will help? Or wood dust is in between surfaces making it hard to actually tighten. Good luck figuring it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X