jointer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: jointer question

Never thought of the dust thing. But since you mentioned it ...it ould even be grease from the original packing hanging to the areas which hold it tight. Gonna dissemble the fence and start from scratch. Thnx

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The jointer is the hardest machine in the shop to use. It is unlike the other tools that does the precision work we "craftsmen" like to call our creation. Above was mentioned how you hold your mouth and i can tell you it sure as heck is in how you place your feet and how you twist at the hips. Lay out your work and mark it, flip each piece against the fence when you do the other edge, then if the fence it out of square it will not matter as it will be corrected when the next piece is done. Now that said if your fence is flopping around and not tight !

Comment

I would square it as best as possiable,without getting to anal on the indeed close to the cutterhead,use it and use the squareness of the boards you produce as a indication of if you are happy.

Comment

What is the make? My thoughts are if you donít have nice mating surfaces when you tighten the fence it may not stay put. Maybe a burr or as somebody else mentioned dust etc.
          Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Those machines are made under a lengthy variety of retail labels. To my experience I found that in their marketing - and questionable price savings, that's what you (meaning 3rd person) get, e.g. "Close enough for government work." On mine the feed tables could never be accurately aligned. Mine at the time had a Sears Craftsman label which have presumably and fortunately changed along the way as they contracted in yooge (huge) batches.
            oldandslow likes this.
            Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

Working...
            X