X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty
    started a topic Which one

Which one

When you fasten a cup hinge to a cabinet door which system do you like? Here's a couple pics showing different methods and screws. I don't really have a favourite but the dowel plugs and screws are pretty effective but so are the metric Euro screws. Heck ,you can even get friction fit insert style with no screws now. I didn't have a hinge like that to show but I have used them. Very solid. Using the insert friction fit style really does show how well these hinges fasten and stay put.

• Rusty
    replied
    Yea, Pretty lame attempt at humour huh Sam?

Leave a comment:

• RV Sam
    replied
    "Do those tests like whacking one with a sledge hammer on your own dime."
    And i thought you were a fun guy Rusty.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Brent it is the pins that fail first but it isn't how you would think. Severe twisting in a vise with channel lock water pump pliers and vice grips gave the best results in terms of damage. None of the screws failed at all under so called normal abuse, I don't care which method you used to fasten the cup or the mounting plate to the structure of the door or the cabinet itself. I could only break screws loose with a claw hammer and a lot of leverage and I had to loosen the screws a bit to get a claw under the edges of the cup side screws or the mounting plate screws. I have a small 10 oz.Vaughan hammer with a wooden handle that I love and when it was on the verge of breaking I stopped prying with it and got a small steel pry bar instead. I finally broke a screw loose in a particle board mock up. I was not going to sacrifice that hammer just to prove a point BTW. Normal abuse like sitting on a door which I did kinda gingerly and pulling and pushing down on a door to break the hinge loose was unsuccessful totally. To break anything I had to twist the hinge by twisting a single hinge with the door and bend the hell out of it and that is what I would say is not normal abuse in any fashion. So in a nutshell these things are bullet proof. I opened a door to 90 degrees and hung 60 pounds of steel weights on a sling over the edge of a 14 inch door and nothing happened at all because any flexing was picked up by the bottom edge of the door hitting against the cabinet so as to act similarly to a triangular corbel support. I asked for test suggestions in that other thread and did not get any before the thread was removed. If someone wants to suggest a specific test I will try it for them but I am not a fan of waste so I'm not about to abuse a bunch of hinges doing trick tests that no cabinet door will ever experience. Do those tests like whacking one with a sledge hammer on your own dime.

Leave a comment:

• timberframe
    replied
    Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
    Hey Timberframe . True on what you say but remember IF the screws came out the hinge would still be ok and i would never have gotten any request nor images. So IT can be the number one issue but that won't be the fault of hinge nor the direction of the mounting, just poor choice of the screw type / length used ?
    Excellent point!

I remember close to 15 years ago doing my first kitchen with these hinges and feeling overwhelmed with all the options out there, and just when I start to feel like I'm half-way competent, they come out with new ones! I just finished my second kitchen job in a row where the clients spec'd old-style hinges though, and you start to miss the adjustability in a hurry.

B

Leave a comment:

• RV Sam
    replied
    Hey Timberframe . True on what you say but remember IF the screws came out the hinge would still be ok and i would never have gotten any request nor images. So IT can be the number one issue but that won't be the fault of hinge nor the direction of the mounting, just poor choice of the screw type / length used ?
    To Callee as a Moderator. It is to bad that Post was removed as i felt it told a lot about hinges and there use, also of people thinking outside the box and showing that there are many ways to do things and not just the follow everyone else. I "think" if you Mods were to look over the "look at me" and the one on one post referring to what the other person just said, it could be cleaned up. While on the subject, lol, sorry, many post on here are the same and NOT in direct referral to what the heck the OP asked for. If those none related to the OP's post are off here asap all the Hero crap should stop.. Just my 2 cents worth.

Leave a comment:

• timberframe
    replied
    Originally posted by Rusty View Post

I think I can pretty much guarantee that issue was never, and will never, be resolved. I did do some testing as I said I would but I accomplished nothing of real significance and without the original thread I suggest my results are useless.
    It was interesting to hear from Sam that the failure mode was usually the hinge pin, as I would have guessed it to be the little screws in man-made chipboard or similar if it was used. To be clear, I never expected the testing to show much of any significance and it would just satisfy some curiosity about the fine details, but if they usually fail at the pin, there ought not be any difference at all.

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    Yes there were some offensive posts but also some good discussion, pity it was all deleted.

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    That thread was removed to clean up some of the more uncivil posts. I excused myself from that work, for obvious reasons, so I'm not sure what it's status is. I'll have to ask.
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
    Now what is more important is whichever you use, will it be stronger if the cup hole was drilled in the door or the cabinet gable? Sorry i just had to do it.
    I think I can pretty much guarantee that issue was never, and will never, be resolved. I did do some testing as I said I would but I accomplished nothing of real significance and without the original thread I suggest my results are useless.

Leave a comment:

• RV Sam
    replied
    Now what is more important is whichever you use, will it be stronger if the cup hole was drilled in the door or the cabinet gable? Sorry i just had to do it.

Leave a comment:

• bkrits
    replied
    Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
    Was the Euro screw/plug system in common use ten years ago? I ask because the shop I worked in for a couple of years used just particle board screws, size ?? don't remember, but definitely not Euro anything. Everything we used was Blum, bought in big boxes (100's?)
    28 years ago I was buying large quantities for a cabinet making shop, the company gave us the machine to drill and insert the hinges so we used Grass brand, the machine drilled all 3 holes together, they were busy times.

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied
    I use whichever hinges I have on hand! There are several differing mounts depending on the source of supply and each of them seem to work well enough. There are extra steps with some of the hinges (inserting those little plastic dowels for example) but it is unimportant for small projects like the ones I typically do these days.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• woodbizard
    replied
    I prefer the metric euro screws.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn McBride
    replied
    I used the friction fit ones for my kitchen and was impressed with how easy they were and we had no issues with them. Which reminds me, I have a box of leftovers that I should put on here for sale.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X