Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisture Content and Warping

Hi there,

I have been having a problem with cabinet doors warping over the past month and wanted to know if anyone had any insight on if there is an amount of change in moisture content that constitutes a warp. The lumber is received at about 8% MC and it is usually in and out of the building within 5 days of cutting the received lumber. I have also tested some doors that had been sitting for 7 or so days, which is rare for them to be here that long, and found that they had at the lowest 5.9%MC but was not warped.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Moisture Content and Warping

Some wood will warp no matter what you do but cutting to size and letting it sit for 24 hours is a good way to separate the warped from the straight before processing and glueing etc. I've seen wood warp even after simply profiling with a router or shaper.

Comment

I have a schwank over head radiant tube. A weekend with a board lying flat and the heat will warp it . Do you have sun shining on the area where the doors are sitting or a heat vent blowing down in that area. I buy my doors and one of the best decisions I ever made.

Brian
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

That'a a good point to Brian. I have a radiant tube heater too and I make certain that I do not leave wet wood sitting under it without first having it stickered and clamps or weight holding it firmly in place.

As a side question, Brian are you still using Walz Craft?

Comment

Just confirmed a Walzcraft order today. I was using a rather large organization out of Manitoba for a couple of years but I got orders where there was gaps between the joints and there remedy was to use a 3M glazing putty. The putty is an excellent wood filler but didn't figure I should have to do repairs on a new door. The next shipment would be great and then a bad one.

Brian
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by amsteenwyk View Post
            Hi there,

I have been having a problem with cabinet doors warping over the past month and wanted to know if anyone had any insight on if there is an amount of change in moisture content that constitutes a warp. The lumber is received at about 8% MC and it is usually in and out of the building within 5 days of cutting the received lumber. I have also tested some doors that had been sitting for 7 or so days, which is rare for them to be here that long, and found that they had at the lowest 5.9%MC but was not warped.
            Sounds like you're a door maker. Have you changed wood suppliers ? The correct moisture is important of course but more important is how it got to that point. If this is your usual supplier i would have a chat with them as they maybe switched mills. Now remember they will not tell you the truth, lol, but they will then know you know something has changed. They will then send you better materials in the future. Don't relax as they will "test" you again down the road. It is all about buying low so they can sell low and if something is a lower price they usually is a reason. Good luck.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X