Transforming Bookcase Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transforming Bookcase Project

Finished the first crack at this bookcase that will be hung on my wall. Didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. Because the barrel of the hinges are offset, when two of them meet its a different thickness than when one is alone. Never even thought of it. I'll call it close enough for now. It will be open the majority of the time anyway. I have a plan for completely hiding the hinges.

video_8ba9d6c741154605b48e1e3bd19a4f8f.mp4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	1239693Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1239694Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0950.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1239695
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Transforming Bookcase Project

Won't the books and other display items go tumbling around when you transform?
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

Can it turn into a Camaro?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
        Won't the books and other display items go tumbling around when you transform?
        5 of the 9 squares stay level when you rotate it. The other 4 do turn so you would have to strategically place the books.

My wife is a teacher and they were studying geometry in class. She found this design online and challenges me to make it. For me it was more about actually being able to execute it, even if it is t quite perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
          Can it turn into a Camaro?
          If you spin it really fast, absolutely!!

Comment

Good on you for giving it a go, its all about learning, there are so many lessons here, first of all you don't know what it took to make the one you saw on the www these pictures we see don't tell the whole story, second lesson you have to plan the hardware many of the guys here know about making a mock up to test there hardware, you could have done that with 3 bits of wood before you started making the boxes, now that you have done this one you are so much wiser and its something that you can't buy no amount of reading or classes will teach you what you have learnt, thanks for sharing it with us "cos I have learnt something too.
            iamtooler likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Click image for larger version

Name:	B514AB15-6D08-4F3A-990F-332C62B97534.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	1239747Click image for larger version  Name:	77181088-AAAE-4C36-8E03-6EA058495BE6.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	1239746
              Originally posted by bkrits View Post
              Good on you for giving it a go, its all about learning, there are so many lessons here, first of all you don't know what it took to make the one you saw on the www these pictures we see don't tell the whole story, second lesson you have to plan the hardware many of the guys here know about making a mock up to test there hardware, you could have done that with 3 bits of wood before you started making the boxes, now that you have done this one you are so much wiser and its something that you can't buy no amount of reading or classes will teach you what you have learnt, thanks for sharing it with us "cos I have learnt something too.
              Thanks, it definitely was a learning experience. I actually drew it first so I could figure out where the pivot points were. My wife got a good laugh out of me using my hands in the air as right angles pivoting. I also made up a small mock-up. But, I used tape to hold it together which didn’t take into account the hinge pins. Didn’t even have the
              slightest hint that that would effect it.

But I will still hang it on the wall and will keep learning. The more tools I accumulate, the more I’m able to do. But for now I have been finding creative ways of using what I have.
              Last edited by brettpl; 06-05-2019, 04:44 PM.
              John Bartley and Beaverfever1988 like this.

Comment

Very clever. Took me a few seconds to figure it out. At first I was thinking the second picture was incomplete since you went from 9 boxes to 13 in the third... I'm a little slow in the mornings. Nice work!

Comment

I think you could still make it work if you simply installed the hinges backwards...

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
                    I think you could still make it work if you simply installed the hinges backwards...
                    Careful Ryan, last time that was discussed things got nasty.

Comment

Working...
                    X