• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob in Whitby
    started a topic Cabinet saw advice

Cabinet saw advice

Hi,

Our club is in the process of updating our cabinet table saw, we currently have a 10" General (Canadian made). Two options are available, tune up the current General (new fence, overarm dust collector & interior cleaning for all of the moving components) or purchase a new saw.

Off the top, we realize that Saw Stop is the premium saw in the market for safety, but with as many novice members in our club, it could be problematic keeping the saw in use if we're going to potentially be replacing the blade and cartridge due to members tripping the stop feature.

I was wondering how everyone felt about the three other options we're currently investigating Laguna, Power Metic and King? Should we be looking at something additional to these three brands? I would appreciate any feedback from the forum.

Thank you,
    Rob

• altiplano
    replied
    That Felder system looks like the way to go.

I wonder when it will appear on other saws, ie. smaller or combos, in their line or the Hammer line?

Leave a comment:

• mikeddd
    replied
    Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
    There is a new Felder sliding TS with a new protection feature that does not damage anything and is easily reset. I don't know what your budget is but this would last a lifetime and save on insurance.
    Interesting.
    I wonder if it's similar to the system that Griggio used on there "Safe" format saw a while back.
    Thanks for the link.

Here is the Griggio saw.
    Last edited by mikeddd; 06-15-2019, 03:12 PM. Reason: Added video.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    There is a new Felder sliding TS with a new protection feature that does not damage anything and is easily reset. I don't know what your budget is but this would last a lifetime and save on insurance.

Leave a comment:

• Rob in Whitby
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, everyone has made great points. I've collected all of the data, will sit down next week with our team to come up with a direction. Personally, I like the Saw Stop, it's built well and the stopping feature is a game changer.

Leave a comment:

• Leeway
    replied
    Definitely Saw Stop. I love ours. We haven't tripped the bladestop......yet.

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    Originally posted by dwight80 View Post
    Couldnt help but LOL at the part about newbs tripping the blade safety stop thing. Potentially every tripped bladestop represents a saved limb that your club was too cheap to spend money on preventing. (Im not saying this is what will happen its just the first thought that crossed my mind, made me smile lol)
    Me too. I wasn't sure how to say it, but I guess there's no other way than ..... if the new club members are going to trip a SawStop that often, then they really need a SawStop, the purchase of which is immediately followed by intensive safety training.

Leave a comment:

• Rod Sheridan
    replied
    I would recommend a short stroke Euro slider.

Better capacity and capability, with an increase in safety through the sliding table.

My second choice would be a Saw Stop, although I'm hard pressed to recommend a cabinet saw to anyone for general shop use...........Regards, Rod.

Leave a comment:

• dwight80
    replied
    Couldnt help but LOL at the part about newbs tripping the blade safety stop thing. Potentially every tripped bladestop represents a saved limb that your club was too cheap to spend money on preventing. (Im not saying this is what will happen its just the first thought that crossed my mind, made me smile lol)

Anyhoo i say save the General also, kinda tough to beat but if you’re set on buying new and have the funds Sawstop, Powermatic/laguna in that order for no reason other than the internet has convinced me thats the correct order lol. Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Mark in Burlington
    replied
    Rob, I would get the Saw Stop even based on the liability issue. If someone had an accent and they found out you were considering a SS and didn’t. Therefore the accident was preventable...
    I think your present General is a better machine than anything on the list.
    A good training program and testing for all members signing off once complete is the best policy. I have created and implemented this type of program. It will also help prevent the SS going off with I proper use.

Cheers, Mark

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    If a cabinet saw suits your needs,refurb the General,or perhaps look into a slider

Leave a comment:

• mikeddd
    replied
    I would refurb the General for my own use.

With the many novice members that you mention the SawStop may be a better option.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X