Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge Joining Table Top

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on putting together a nice tabletop. It's going to be about 7' long and 40" wide, 1" thick maple. About 6 boards are going to assemble the top in total. I put it together a few days ago using pocket screws which I now regret after doing a bit of research and rushing into the decision. I did not glue the edges together, just used the screws and am obviously worried about stability. My question is, is it worth it to unscrew the boards and glue it up? I should have done this from the get go since I have all of the clamps available to do it and keep everything straight. Would unscrewing the boards do more damage than leaving it the way it is?

Any advice would be great to try and fix my hasty decision.

Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Edge Joining Table Top

Gluing is definitely the way to go IMO. I have never used pocket screws but I don't see a problem in removing them and then gluing. If you glue you don't need the screws. Think about some cauls to help keep the table top flat as that is a big heavy top.

Comment

I agree fully with Dennis above, Roy
      Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Pocket screws hold very tightly. I would definitely take it apart, glue it and reinstall the screws. Make sure to apply registration marks to put it back together in the same order.

Obviously we must assume the edges have been jointed dead straight prior to screwing it together. How wide are the boards BTW?

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the replies. The boards vary between 5-7" wide and yes, all jointed very straight.

Comment

As our friends above had stated, dissemble and re-glue, but use at least some of the pocket screws to help position and hold things while you position those clamps - that a pretty big and heavy piece. After clamped you can decide whether to remove the screws or not. No, they won'y deface the area when you remove them.
            Start slow; wind down gracefully
            woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Today's glue is stronger than the wood... The pocket screws shouldn't hurt.

Taking them out shouldn't be an issue ether and I would definitely do it now that you know you should.... BTW... Making them is also a great idea.

Comment

As others have said, glue it up.

I never use mechanical fasteners, the glue bond is stronger than the wood...........Regards, Rod.
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

We would always use glue and pocket screws when I worked for a staircase company and we never had any issues. The pocket screws acted as clamps more or less and we didnít have to have a million clamps to apply. Also, we didnít need to wait for wait for glue to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mauroc View Post
                    We would always use glue and pocket screws when I worked for a staircase company and we never had any issues. The pocket screws acted as clamps more or less and we didnít have to have a million clamps to apply. Also, we didnít need to wait for wait for glue to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I use screw and glue on my outdoor furniture.

Comment

Working...
                    X