Veritas Mk II Power Sharpener - Disc Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veritas Mk II Power Sharpener - Disc Removal

I bought one of these years ago, and while I still use it, I use it less and less due to the difficulty (I have) in changing the abrasive discs for new ones. The adhesive on the back of the 3M microfinishing film discs is very strong, and I have a heck of a time peeling the disc off, and then cleaning the platen in preparation for a new disc. I typically use isopropyl alcohol to help remove the adhesive residue, but even then it requires a lot of physical effort to peel the disc off, and is also a pretty dirty and messy process.

For those of you that have this same unit, do you have any tricks you can share in how you remove old discs and clean the platen prior to installing a new disc? My preference would be to sit the entire platen with the old disc still on it in a tub of the correct type of solvent, and let the chemistry do most of the work.

Thanks for your help!

Sweeps.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Veritas Mk II Power Sharpener - Disc Removal

Try GooGone

Comment

I bought a can of ''goof-off'' to remove sticky left from labels. It worked great and smelled exactly like lighter fluid that should be cheaper.
      Rob

Comment

A spray can of Jig-a-Loo works too. Then maybe glue on a velcro pad and buy some hook and loop discs.

Comment

heat gun to peel it off . then solvent to klear the left over glue . i have more plates so it not so often
          everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
          English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Working...
          X