Teak Dining Table Factory Finish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teak Dining Table Factory Finish

I have a teak dining table from the 60ís - the table has a lot of wear but the two extension leaves are in perfect condition. I would like to finish the main table as close as possible to the leaves but donít know what finish to use to match the factory finish. There is no sheen, just a warm, soft, brown finish. Iím thinking an oil wouldnít have lasted so long- any suggestions? Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Teak Dining Table Factory Finish

Its anybody's guess what the finish may be, do you know if the table is veneered, I was working with 1/8" teak veneer in the 1970 but it could also be thin veneer as in .6mm so any scraping or sanding and you could be looking at the sub strait are you able to tell, photos may help.

Comment

Originally posted by skiffrob View Post
      There is no sheen, just a warm, soft, brown finish. Iím thinking an oil wouldnít have lasted so long- any suggestions?
      It sounds like an oil finish and you might be surprised by how long a good quality oil can last.
      We have lots of teak furniture from that era which is a mix of veneer and solid. It's all oiled, no film finish. I use Amazon's Golden Teak Oil, which is a thin marine grade oil and it is excellent. For some reason I can't upload a picture of it: says "not a valid file" even though it's a jpeg and I have done it before
      Simple test for a film type finish is to very lightly scuff sand an inconspicuous area and see if you get a whitish powder.
      Like Bob said, a photo or two would help.

Paul

Comment

Paul I'm getting the exact same message and can't post a pic.. I was trying to help another guy with a black walnut slab and I was trying to show a pic of some Walnut I'm working on which has only oil applied at this point.

Dammit these upgrade failures are a real pain in the ass.. I'd love to talk to the guy responsibele for the latest site upgrade. Dead slow and nothing works properly but they call themselves experts.
        Last edited by Rusty; 07-17-2019, 11:30 AM.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

I am also getting the ďnot valid fileĒ message when I try to upload a photo - will try again later today.
          Its definitely veneer - I will try the suggestion of a light sand to see if I get any powder..

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Paul I'm getting the exact same message and can't post a pic.. I was trying to help another guy with a black walnut slab and I was trying to show a pic of some Walnut I'm working on which has only oil applied at this point.

Dammit these upgrade failures are a real pain in the ass.. I'd love to talk to the guy responsibele for the latest site upgrade. Dead slow and nothing works properly but they call themselves experts.
            The expert Rusty is an unknown factor, the X is the unknown and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

The expert Rusty is an unknown factor, the X is the unknown and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
              Huh??? Anglais sil vous plait.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

I doubt anyone would finish Teak in anything but an oil. Probably BLO. Teak naturally darkens a lot so if you scrape the surface it will become very light and darken again with age. Not sure how oily it would still be after all these years though.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
                  I doubt anyone would finish Teak in anything but an oil. Probably BLO. Teak naturally darkens a lot so if you scrape the surface it will become very light and darken again with age. Not sure how oily it would still be after all these years though.
                  I remember some of the luxury boats I used to work on having gunwale of teak some as big as 10" X 3" laminated up around the bow and being varnished, for the crew it was an endless job keeping them varnished.
                  Teak decks I laid would be left natural but hatch trims were often varnished which is why we have marine varnish of course it never lasted long in the harsh environment, if water got under the varnish it did more damage as it took longer to dry out so penetrated deeper.
                  I have 2 tables at home, professionally lacquered and as good as the day they were done but they have never seen the sun or water.

Comment

What is BLO?

Comment

Boiled Linseed Oil.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks

Comment