Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice between 2 dust collectors

Hello!

I'm in the market for a used dust collector to use in my 22x34 wood shop.

I found two listed on kijiji that seem like good choices, both have a 150$ asking price...

The first one is a 1hp general international with cannister filter

The second one is a 2hp king industeial (kc-3108c) that comes with 40 feet of 4in hose (but bag filter).

What would you pick?

Thanks!!

MB

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Choice between 2 dust collectors

Assuming they're both in similar condition, the 2hp unit will perform much better.

​​​​
    Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

Another vote for the 2 hp.

If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

for $150 each, I'd buy both.

depends on your shop layout, machines, etc, but they will both be mobile units, so having 1 at one corner and the other in the opposite corner could mean less hoses/movement overall.

or leave one hooked up to table saw (or most used machine) and wheel the other around as needed.
        stotto likes this.
        [insert something witty here]

Comment

Both as long as the canister fits the 2hp and is in good condition. You can't get an aftermarket canister for $150.00.
          You might be able to swap the components around so you can sell the 1hp for $150.00.

Don

Comment

I hadn't thought about buying both!! Might be a good option... Thanks for your input guys!! =)

Comment

Yes I would go with the 2 HP. With the hose and a little more work and investment you can set yourself up with the right size DC, and over time you can upgrade the system with a new cannister filter and any other improvements you wish to incorporate. If you go with the 1HP you will find it to small one day and have to change it all out.

Comment

Another vote for the 2 HP. If the budget allows, buy both. Great idea. I have a 1 1/2 HP and, while it does the job for me, 2 HP would be better. I could not see me (small shop, one machine at a time) working with a 1 HP DC.
                The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

2 HP should be 220v so plan for that.

I'd plan on a canister upgrade immediately, maybe something like ba Wynn... Felt bags don't trap dust.

I wouldn't bother with the 1hp unless you could swap the bag/canister and then sell that unit off... Even then, a new nano/hepa canister is better, likely more surface area, and better filtering - you'll know what you are getting.

Good luck!

Comment

If you’re going to be running a cyclone or Thein separator, 2 hp will really help with your separation efficiency. When I went to a 3 hp, my separation of dust became better than 99%.
                    VIDEOS: www.youtube.com/AWoodworkersLife

Comment

May sound a bit harsh,but
                      dont buy both,don't even buy one,both are nothing more than dust pumps that will excellerate the most dangerous paticales into your shop.
                      if you can't afford more,I'm sure you have a broom,buy a good respirator and use it and the broom and save for something better.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                        May sound a bit harsh,but
                        dont buy both,don't even buy one,both are nothing more than dust pumps that will excellerate the most dangerous paticales into your shop.
                        if you can't afford more,I'm sure you have a broom,buy a good respirator and use it and the broom and save for something better.
                        I agree, it is a bit harsh. The 1 HP with a canister filter will drop a good bit of the dust and particulate from the ambient shop air. A 2 HP will drop even more. A shop without any DC is a very dangerous place. Better to begin somewhere and improve than just put on a mask and pretend you are safe. Some means of DC plus a mask is a whole lot better than a mask alone.
                        The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Originally posted by smallerstick View Post

I agree, it is a bit harsh. The 1 HP with a canister filter will drop a good bit of the dust and particulate from the ambient shop air. A 2 HP will drop even more. A shop without any DC is a very dangerous place. Better to begin somewhere and improve than just put on a mask and pretend you are safe. Some means of DC plus a mask is a whole lot better than a mask alone.
                          of coarse both is better than nothing,but I recommended a respirator,not a mask. A nuicence mask,and any filter less than a hepa misses the harmful stuff,giving a false sence of security.
                          so many of us have thrown good money after bad,and until you have a cyclone and hepa filer paired th the 2hp unit,your not getting the fines that are the issue.By the time you do have the cyclone and. Hepa,the cost is near what a decent unit will set you back,that's why I recommend appropriate ppe until you can afforded a quality unit,and even then,the ppe will still be useful.
                          my 2 cents,I stand by it.

smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Would buy the 2 hp and look at adding a canister and running a cyclone separator like an Oneida Super Dust Deputy to give effective collection for a single machine. I use a similar set up with a 5” flex hose that I can connect to the machine in use. The advantage is the whole unit cost not much more than $500 bought as used components and is quite effective for the price paid. The 1 hp unit is really not worth the money in my opinion and you would be better off looking towards a canister and cyclone for the larger unit.
                            Randy in Calgary likes this.
                            Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Originally posted by ErikM View Post
                              Would buy the 2 hp and look at adding a canister and running a cyclone separator like an Oneida Super Dust Deputy to give effective collection for a single machine. I use a similar set up with a 5” flex hose that I can connect to the machine in use. The advantage is the whole unit cost not much more than $500 bought as used components and is quite effective for the price paid. The 1 hp unit is really not worth the money in my opinion and you would be better off looking towards a canister and cyclone for the larger unit.
                              I would agree with this. I had a 1 hp DC with a SDD and it was miles ahead of a felt bag / cannister alone.

Whatever DC you go with, the cyclone makes a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X