Choice between 2 dust collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choice between 2 dust collectors

I think a DC with a felt bag is worse than nothing at all as it keeps recirculating and pumping the dangerous dust into the air.

All felt bags filter out are the non-dangerous chips and large grains that would just have fallen on the floor, while keeping the dangerous dust airborne.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I would guess by now the OP has made up his mind and made the purchase or else the units got sold to someone else. I would just like to add that all the concerns for fine dust while true there are hundreds of thousands of OLD woodworkers still kicking and dead from other reasons other then sniffin' dust.

Comment

Sure. But harmful affects of wood dust are well documented. I mean there's even more OLD smokers out there than old woodworkers, doesn't mean we dismiss it.

​But aside from that why get something that puts MORE dust into the air and spreads it around your shop? That just doesn't make sense.

You're better with a broom and pan and its cheaper and quieter.

Comment

And a lot of old woodworkers did not have dust pumps excellerate get the fines into the air ,they used a broom

Comment

I would like those that say the filter bags are of no value pay a visit to a few of the larger shops that do mill work or build kitchens. Living in the Woodstock area and visiting many shops in this area and London I have never seen canister filters in the larger shops. They all use filter bags that have to meet WSIB standards. To compare a filter bag that comes on a $400 Asian DC to the filter bags that are available from North American firms like Kraemer in St Catherine’s is comparing apples to oranges. I have had those cheap DC’s and every time you turn them on you get a cloud of dust. I have a Kraemer 5 hp DC and a Torit cyclone. I do not get the cloud of dust when I turn it on, woodworking is a dusty business and no matter how good you are going to get some dust escaping. I am not attempting to convince people not to buy canisters but we should not scare people who are starting out. I am sure a newbie reading some posts on this forum would shy away from woodworking thinking that woodworking without a canister will shorten his life.
            Brian
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
              I would like those that say the filter bags are of no value pay a visit to a few of the larger shops that do mill work or build kitchens. Living in the Woodstock area and visiting many shops in this area and London I have never seen canister filters in the larger shops. They all use filter bags that have to meet WSIB standards. To compare a filter bag that comes on a $400 Asian DC to the filter bags that are available from North American firms like Kraemer in St Catherine’s is comparing apples to oranges. I have had those cheap DC’s and every time you turn them on you get a cloud of dust. I have a Kraemer 5 hp DC and a Torit cyclone. I do not get the cloud of dust when I turn it on, woodworking is a dusty business and no matter how good you are going to get some dust escaping. I am not attempting to convince people not to buy canisters but we should not scare people who are starting out. I am sure a newbie reading some posts on this forum would shy away from woodworking thinking that woodworking without a canister will shorten his life.
              Brian
              I agree. I am in the camp that says that "anything is better to start with than nothing".

That said ... I remember reading somewhere that part of the filtration comes from the fines themselves. As I recall, the article said that even in the cheapo collectors, after the first layer gets stuck to the inside of the bag, increasingly smaller particles fill the gaps and create finer and finer filtration until the reduced air flow indicates that cleaning is necessary. I know that I periodically have to take the top bag off my cheapo collector and give it a bath inside out. So ..... it may not be a $5k collector, but it's not bad for what I do. I think (for my purposes only) I'd be better to go with an air cleaner in addition to my cheapo collector than with a more expensive collector that takes up more floor space.

Just opinion ....
              Redneck Albertan likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Brian,

You are no doubt correct that there are decent bag filters out there, but they aren't on any of the hobbiest dust collector models. These commercial shops probably also have proper ventilation and efficient separators with the collectors.

My experience from a couple of years using a general international 1.5 hp model with what I think was a 2micron bag was nothing but disappointment and clouds of dust pouring off the collector even after it had a​​​​​ "cake" established on the filter.

The fine dust coated my shop... everywhere, more or less all the time... it wasn't like that before I had the dust pump and ever since I got a cyclone with a canister filter that's gone.

Anyway. Everyone can make their choice. But I'd rather sweep than go to a hobbiest collector with a bag again, it was counterproductive.
                drzaius likes this.

Comment

Good points about the quality of bag filters. We wired up a cabinet shop that had 2 50 HP blowers & a big filter housing with 40 or 50 bags in it. I remember that even after it had been in operation for a couple of years it stayed pretty clean in there, so those bags must have been working well.

Then one day a machine malfunctioned & some burning embers made there way into the bag house. It was sprinkled, but the bags were gone by the time the sprinklers put the fire out. What a mess.

Comment

Hi everyone! It was nice to read you all, very insightfull!! The 2 hp unit was "stolen" from me at the las second... I will not go for the 1 hp unit... will wait a bit and keep my eyes open for the next opportunity... thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X