Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What did you do in your shop today?

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
    Beavered away on the two dingin room corner cabinets... No idea how much longer they'll take to finish!
    Don't start to rush because you feel its taking too long, take a day off have a break from it you will face it better after a while away from it, it's easy to get bogged down and forget there is another world out there, there is no rush when its for yourself, and we can wait a day longer.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I ran into an interesting issue today. I am building a small deck behind my house and in typical northern fashion I am floating it on drained gravel with patio stones, then deck blocks, short vertical 4"x4" posts and then 2"x6" rails lagged into the 4"x4" (in pairs), followed by 2"x6" joists topped by deck boards.

I set all the deck blocks the other day, then today I got out my water level and started cutting verticals. I cut the first one, went to drop it into the square hole in the centre top of the block and .... it was too big .... wouldn't fit into the deck block hole. I measured the 4"x4" and it was 3-9/16"+ x 3-5/8"+. There was only nine blocks to fill, so I cut them back on the table saw, but it was a bit of a pain.

Comment

As a part of my elaborate table build that I have now finished I have 2 other tables to make using what was left over of my clients wood one is an outdoor rustic table using macrocarpa, I have done some of it these past few days today I remembered to take some photos as I was planing up the last leg today, all I have to do now is make some wedges, cut some holes in the rail for the wedges then do a final clean up, I will use Sikkens to coat it with.
        Then I have a coffee table to make.

Comment

Finally put my mortising machine to use, making a very simple door for my kids treehouse.
          Still have to make the top 1/2 of the door, and my tenons were a bit sloppy (cutting away the pencil line opposed to leaving it) so I added wedges to snug them up... but overall I am quite pleased with the door.

Also filled a request for a small folding table. Tried bowties for the first time, little oversized, but doubtful the boys will complain. Even turned a simple leg to class the place up a bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200518_183649_967.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1284944

Name:	IMG_20200518_183649_985.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1284941

Name:	IMG_20200518_183649_995.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	1284946

Name:	IMG_20200524_174438_921.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1284945

Name:	IMG_20200524_174438_920.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1284942

Name:	IMG_20200524_174438_949.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1284943
          [insert something witty here]

Comment

Nice treehouse furnishings thinking parents playhouse in a couple of years>
            Jerome
            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
            CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
            ) A person who solves problems you can't.
            2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
              Nice treehouse furnishings thinking parents playhouse in a couple of years>
              Ha, Grammie has already called dibs when she & granpa visit.

But yes, I could certainly see myself enjoying time out there.

Comment

We built a treehouse for our kids they used it for about 2 years then got tired of it. As it was lighted by of grid solar with a panel and deep cycle battery my wife and I took it over as a quiet spot or would go up to the roof for a sit in the breeze.
                Jerome
                Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
                ) A person who solves problems you can't.
                2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                  We built a treehouse for our kids they used it for about 2 years then got tired of it. As it was lighted by of grid solar with a panel and deep cycle battery my wife and I took it over as a quiet spot or would go up to the roof for a sit in the breeze.
                  Well our boys are almost 5, 8 & 9. And the neighbours have 4 kids 2, 8, 11 & 14... so we hope it gets a few years use.

But I do expect to enjoy some quiet time in it here & there.

I was planning to install a solar panel & battery for some lights, maybe some basic electronics. Any words of widsom on that topic? I have a small panel, controller and basic knowledge of 12v electrical. Figured lights are easy enough, maybe a car radio for music...

I'm sure the kids would like a WIFI repeater that could provide internet out there!!
                  Last edited by beakie; 05-26-2020, 07:06 PM.

Comment

new garden wagon
                    Attached Files

Comment

I supervised the building of a couple of garden boxes by these three kids from my daughters daycare. I did the cutting and they did all the screwing it together.

When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

I'm building a small BBQ island for my patio.

The stand is welded and painted, and the forms are made for the concrete countertops

One will have a side burner in it.

Regards, Rod.

Name:	BBQ Countertop Forms.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1287212 Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ Stand Painted.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	4.00 MB
ID:	1287213
                        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Finished (for now) the miter saw station for my new Bosch Glide saw. Dust collection is reasonable for now, at least it is miles ahead of my old Ryobi saw.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Name:	P1010617.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1292832

Comment

Big drink!
                                Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                                'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                                "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
                                X